My quest to stop the "puffs" and backfires....

More
25 Nov 2012 23:30 #560082 by XXWoodmanXX
I have a 1980 KZ250CSR and I've just jetted it it with a Stage III Dynojet kit,a single Keihin (SH23) carb using a Generic pod filter, and the stock exhaust with the muffler gutted and I bored out the exhaust hole to 1.75".

I start'er up and I have to choke it about half-way, then I can drop the lever on the side of the carb after about 2-3 min., and it's fine(somewhat). Every so often at idel and before 1/4 throttle, it "puffs" or backfires air/fuel out the carb thru the air filter. However, when I'm done riding, and I bring her back to idle and shut it off. it backfires louder than a shotgun!

What could be the issue?

Is it possible that the stock header is providing too much back-pressure?

Now, FYI, I've not gotten into this motor yet. I have only cleaned/rebuilt/jetted the carb, and replaced the O-ring on the carb intake boot.

If I missed providing any info, just lemme know. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2012 23:58 - 26 Nov 2012 00:02 #560083 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic My quest to stop the "puffs" and backfires....
With the pod filter and gutted exhaust you have leaned out the fuel to air mixture.
Welcome to the world of tuning cv carbs with pods.
Do a search on that subject and enjoy.
As for the backfire,check your valve clearence.
You should perform all the general maintenance before you do any modifications. :woohoo:

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

Last edit: 26 Nov 2012 00:02 by Nebr_Rex.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
26 Nov 2012 00:02 #560084 by bluej58
raw gas in the exhaust pipe will make it back fire like that.

JD

78 KZ1000 A2A

More
26 Nov 2012 01:05 #560090 by XXWoodmanXX
Replied by XXWoodmanXX on topic My quest to stop the "puffs" and backfires....

Nebr_Rex wrote: You should perform all the general maintenance before you do any modifications. :woohoo:

Well, not the first time I've had to chase a tune. I've been putting it off for some time. So it looks like I'll do a complete tear-down, since my new Athena gasket set is in. Oh, btw,...I am also leaking oil out the head-gasket, ever so slightly ( a drop of oil each day, roughly)

More
27 Nov 2012 18:21 #560252 by XXWoodmanXX
Replied by XXWoodmanXX on topic My quest to stop the "puffs" and backfires....
Well, I tore off the top-end of the motor and cleaned it a bit. Once I got it back together I noticed I was off in my timing by nearly 2 degrees!!. I adjusted it, along with the valves, (which desperatley needed it since they never really closed!) and she runs ALOT better. I also gave my mixture screw a half-turn, with the colder-denser air coming into the motor, and she no longer puffs, backfires or leaks oil at the head gasket.

Go, me!! I love this hands-on learning as I slowly educate myself on bikes. :)