77 KZ1000 Carb tuning with Kerker and pod filters.

More
04 Nov 2012 15:28 #557033 by 3course
Hello all. Let me start by telling you a bit about the bike. Just rebulit the top end a few weeks ago. All new gaskets and seals, new cylinder sleeve, honed and surfaced professionally, valves lapped and clear, clylinder studs torqued to spec. New intake boots. Carbs clean and synced. 130 compression across all 4. I Decided to install the Kerker 4 to 1 Megaphone system and I already had the pods on there.

Basically since the pipe went on the bike I have raised the needles Leaned floats to stock 25mm and Went up to 115 and eventually back down to 112 mains from the stock 107.5 main. Pilots are 17.5 (stock). Air screws are at 1 & 1/2(stock). Bike still does not have the punch I would have expected. Somehow fouling plugs. I can pull the plug caps off 1 & 2 with no effect to idle. Also #3 is cold..Firing, but cold. 1,2 and 4 are all around 400 degrees and 3 is about 160. I have a fully capable shop and I am a professional tech. I just wanna dial my baby in. Hoping there are some old pros who have had this setup that can offer some advice. Thanks in advance!

-Zack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2012 19:22 - 04 Nov 2012 19:24 #557045 by baldy110
Check your ignition sytem insure your getting full 12 volts to the coils. 112 mains seem to small.
Last edit: 04 Nov 2012 19:24 by baldy110.

More
05 Nov 2012 12:44 #557116 by 3course
Well, I will check for voltage and resistance at the coils, recheck timing with the strobe and report back. I know 112 seems small and it does take away from the top end of the bike. With 115 mains cruising at 80 mph @ 5k. 112 mains cruising at 75 mph @ 5k.

More
05 Nov 2012 15:52 #557131 by baldy110
Your RPM at a set MPH shouldn't change that is in the gearing. Max RPM will change with main jetting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• kawasaki mike
  • User
  • kawasaki mike
More
09 Nov 2012 20:02 #557668 by kawasaki mike
Replied by kawasaki mike on topic 77 KZ1000 Carb tuning with Kerker and pod filters.
In my opinion the 112.5 should be good. Read the plugs at 5000 rpm and if they are reAL DARK. PUT YOUR NEEDLE back on midle position. You have an ignition problem.Make sure wires are all the way in the coils and caps on tight. Same with the plugs.As always, your fuel level has to be right. The Kerker has enough curves to be able to run without a baffle if you so deaire. As with any pipe used for a performance gain, if you dont have to richen it up, you not getting any performance gain, period. The Kerker works fine but I prefer the Marving. Great pipe, great performance, great loks, and great ground clearance. A must if you lower your ride. Hope this helps you man.

Am addicted to Z1's and kz 900's have an el camino, fly rc helicoptors and am strung out on horsepower.

More
14 Nov 2012 13:11 #558318 by 3course
Sorry for taking so long to get back. I rejetted to 20 slow speeds and 120 mains. Rechecked valve clearance and rechecked timing. Both are perfect. Performance wise it feels pretty good.

I am still dealing with the problem of the bike refusing to idle after about 15 minutes of riding. On start up #3 and #4 are way hot. 500 degrees. #1 and #2 are chilling at about 250 and 170 repspectively. When it dies the plugs are not fouled and the coils still have spark. Anyone have issues with the carb bodies leaking? Im at a loss here and this may be miscategorized since it may be electrical. Anyhow. Got some cheap coils comin from K & L. Heres hoping thats my problem.

Any advice is definately appreciated.

More
14 Nov 2012 22:14 #558385 by OldSchoolZ
Ive seen timing off and almost glow an exhaust pipe it gets so hot.

Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.

More
21 Nov 2012 22:02 - 28 Nov 2012 09:41 #559537 by 3course
Alright returned my coils to K & L....after a stern scolding about how they dont accept returns on electrical components.

I actually have a set of pumpers at my shop. Missing the accelerator pump vacuum diaphragm and the far left float bowl. Anyone know where I could find these parts? Or if I could find the 2 left hand carb bodies for the stock VM26 carbs that would work too! Thanks.

Memo from Patton:
Parts needed matters and responses are relocated to forum Wanted Classifieds
www.kzrider.com/forum/24-wanted/560313-vm26-carbs
Last edit: 28 Nov 2012 09:41 by Patton.