Plug Issue and Miss Issue

More
21 Nov 2012 19:50 #559506 by BIGKEVIN
Replied by BIGKEVIN on topic Plug Issue and Miss Issue
I started the bike today and it idled good. I took it up the street for a test ride and it feels sluggish. Should I take the carbs back off, bench sync them again and then do the running sync again ? When I did this the last time, the #3 carb main jet fell out. Trying to find out why the bike feels sluggish now. Any ideas ?

1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2012 18:15 #560251 by BIGKEVIN
I got back to the bike again today. Did the bench sync, made sure there were enough threads on the idle screw and then tried doing the final running sync. When I put the Pro-Motion carb sync tool on it, I get no reading from the #2 carb or the #4 carb. Any idea what would cause me not to get any reading from those carbs ? This is my first time dealing with carbs, so I am learning as I go along. Thanks for any assistance.

1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

More
28 Nov 2012 20:10 #560375 by BIGKEVIN
I took the carbs back off the bike and cleaned them again, corrected a float hight issue, bench synced them and the bike started and sound good. Took it for a quick ride around the neighbor hood and it seemed good. Does have some smoke coming out of the exhaust, which I am hoping will clear up with the running sync and the air adjustments.

1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

More
29 Nov 2012 20:13 #560535 by BIGKEVIN
I started the bike to let is warm up and then do the running sync, but the bike did sound right. Sounded like it wasn't running on all cyclinders. I checked the bikes and the #2 and #3 pipes were hot, but not all hot as the other 2 pipes. I did the clear tube test for the fuel level and it is good. I did the bench sync. Is it possible that the air screws or the running sync could fix this issue ? If not, what should I check next ?

1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

More
29 Nov 2012 20:47 - 29 Nov 2012 21:26 #560538 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Plug Issue and Miss Issue

BIGKEVIN wrote: I started the bike to let is warm up and then do the running sync, but the bike did sound right. Sounded like it wasn't running on all cyclinders. I checked the bikes and the #2 and #3 pipes were hot, but not all hot as the other 2 pipes. I did the clear tube test for the fuel level and it is good. I did the bench sync. Is it possible that the air screws or the running sync could fix this issue ? If not, what should I check next ?

Is it possible that the air screws or the running sync could fix this issue? -- Imo, doubtful, especially if opening the throttle doesn't produce combustion in cylinders #2 and #3.

Could try spraying some starting fluid in #2 and #3 carbs to help determine whether it's a carb or fuel issue.

If not a carb or fuel issue, could be an issue with compression or valve clearance or spark quality or ignition timing or cam timing.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 29 Nov 2012 21:26 by Patton.

More
29 Nov 2012 21:21 #560545 by BIGKEVIN
I was reading somewhere else and it mentioned checking the timing. I did check the timing yesterday and will recheck it tomorrow. I did adjust the timing modules on the Dyna S timing system. I will doubel check it tomorrow to see if I have it set correctly.

1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

More
30 Nov 2012 20:31 #560707 by BIGKEVIN
I reset the timing and started the bike and it still sounded like it wasn't running on all 4 cylinders. I was able to pull #2,3 and #4 wires and the bike would still if the wires were not put back on fast enough. The #1 pipe was hot, but not as hot as the other pipes. I checked the fuel level and it was high. I tried to lower the fuel level, but if the tang was bent on further, when the carbs were put back on, no fuel would come out of the carb. I swtich the #1 and #2 floats and then could not get the #2 level set correctly. I checked the 2 floats side by side and the float that was originally in the #1 carb was all bent up. I tried to fix it, but still no good. I guess I will be checking to see if one of the local shops has a good float, it not, I will be ordering new floats.

1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

More
02 Dec 2012 16:59 #560982 by BIGKEVIN
I worked with the old float yesterday since the local cycle salvage yards did not have any floats and have all 4 floats set within specs. I connected the carbs and the bike either cuts off or idles down whenever any plug wire is pulled. The bike is still not running correctly. Would running the bike with the tops of the carbs off cause this issue ? I have the tops off currently because I have not done the running sync yet. Or should I try doing the running sync ? Also, when I tried doing the running sync the last time with my Pro-Motion tool, I was not getting anything pulled up into the tube on the tool. Any ideas what would cause this issue ? I checked both carb boots and they are good.

1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

More
03 Dec 2012 20:36 #561201 by BIGKEVIN
I tried doing the running sync with the Motion-Pro and was able to get #2,3,and 4 carbs the same. The #1 carb would not come down to the level of the other 3 cards. Any ideas on why the #1 carb would not come down to the level of the other 3 carbs ? Also, what should the spark plugs be gapped for with a accel coil and electronic ignition ?

1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

More
03 Dec 2012 22:40 #561232 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Plug Issue and Miss Issue
I'd say normal gap, 0.028" to 0.031". Checked the sparkplug caps? They have a non-serviceable 5000 ohm resistor, that can fail due to heat and vibration.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
04 Dec 2012 20:22 #561398 by BIGKEVIN
I took the tank off and gapped all 4 plugs for .030. While I had the tank off, I decided to check the voltage at the coils. It measured about 10.3 volts. The battery is at 11.9 volts. The bike has only been idling lately due to me working on getting the running sync done. If I measure from the red wire to ground, I get battery voltage. If I measure across the lugs on the coils, I get 10.3 volts. Any ideas what would cause this issue ?

1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

More
05 Dec 2012 01:18 #561430 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Plug Issue and Miss Issue

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments: