Stock jet sizes and other questions

• SadisticMedic
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Oct 2012 07:18 - 24 Oct 2012 07:31 #555536 by SadisticMedic
Stock jet sizes and other questions was created by SadisticMedic
I have a 1981 KZ1000/C4 police bike. It's been pretty goobered up by the previous owner in an attempt to turn it into a bobber/Indian clone. I'm working my way through all the jerry-rigging he did and now it's time to tackle the carbs. I assume these are the stock carbs, I haven't found anything mechanical that wasn't stock except the headlight (off an old BMW) and the exhaust/pods. I know they need to be cleaned, but I'm having the bogging down issue at about 3/4 throttle. It's almost as if there is a governor on it so when it hits about 75-80mph it's as if the gas is shut off. There are pod filters installed, and the exhaust is 4 into 2 straight pipes (I'm virtually positive there are no baffles in there) and knowing everything else the PO has done, I would not be suprised if he did not rejet the carbs after putting the pods and straight pipes on.

My first question is two fold. What would be the stock jets/needles for the stock carbs, or where can I find this information, and what would be a good starting point for rejetting stock carbs with pods/straight pipes? This is my first "metric" bike, coming from the v-twin world and it's not as simple as take what you know and double it :)

I have what I believe is an original speedo, that someone welded into position in the old BMW headlight which removes access to the trip odometer which is how I usually keep track for filling up the gas tank. I'm thinking about getting a mini speedo to use as the actual one, and getting a mini tach to go with it and mounting them down by the bottom of the gas tank, top of the engine area. Maybe put one on either side attached to the front frame down tubes. Kind of hiding them or making them as inconspicuous as possible but I can't seem to find anywhere what the tach ratio should be. I may be moving to an electronic ignition at some point (hehehe.... Sorry bad pun.), then I could go with an electronic tach, but until then, the little mini mechanical ones are cheap, I just need to know what ratio to get.

I also thought there would be all kinds of information online on these old bikes but I'm having to look twice as hard to find any info on this bike than I ever did to find the same info on my old Harleys. I know it's probably just a matter of finding the right sources, like this forum. Any suggestions on places to find technical info and pictures would be great. An example is the rear brake light switch. I have one, but there is a broken piece of wire attached to it. I see where it is supposed to connect, but I can't for the life of me figure out what is supposed to connect the two. There is not a straight path first off and secondly, it's about two feet from the switch to where "something" connects to the brake pedal. All I need is a picture and I can make, adapt, or find a replacement, but the only things I've been able to find have been those part microfiche and this part is surprisingly absent.

Lastly, can anyone clue me in to where I can find what other bikes use the same parts? What I mean is, is there somewhere where I can find out if the carbs on the KZ1000J will work on my bike? Like a cross compatibility listing. I found a site where you can get CR31, CR33 and other "race carbs", but of course they don't list police models, just the standard models. So is there somewhere where I can look to find compatibility, or can I assume that engine parts from the LTD and CSR models from the same year will generally work on my bike as well?

Thanks in advance for any help you guy's can lend.
Mark
Last edit: 24 Oct 2012 07:31 by SadisticMedic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2012 09:01 #555540 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Stock jet sizes and other questions
If these are 34mm Constant Velocity carbs, (they work on vacum instead of the cable operating the slides) I have always run mine jetted 40/140 on a 1000cc engine. Might depend on where you live.
Do you have a tach? Does the engine starve for gas around 5000 rpm? If so that could be the step from the small jet to the big one. A fatter small jet would help out. But could also mean the big jet is not big enough.

Someone will probably come along and explain this better. I have been up all night and am not in top form. (if I have ever been)

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
24 Oct 2012 14:25 #555575 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Stock jet sizes and other questions
Your carbs are Mikuni BS34 CV style carbs. Most KZ1000 in the 1980's used these carbs including the KZ1000J and police bikes. They are plentiful and pretty cheap.