Idle screws out of sync. I think...

• Hatchet
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It's better in the wind.
More
23 Oct 2012 21:59 #555463 by Hatchet
Idle screws out of sync. I think... was created by Hatchet
Not sure if this should perhaps be under "engine"...

I finally got my 750 twin running fairly well. However there are some symptoms I'm finding difficult to diagnose.
I recently re-jetted the carbs. I fully expect the bike to be slightly rich-running due to this. But...

Here's the list of problems:
The right side exhaust pipe gives off a light billow of white smoke. The left side does not.
The right side exhaust pipe is exceptionally hotter than the left. I can hold my finger on the left pipe for a good 1-2 seconds longer than the right.
Flat spots in acceleration (probably unrelated).

I started messing with the idle/air mixture screws on the carbs and I think I've concluded that this is the root of these problems.

When I backed out the screw on the left carb considerably, I started to get white smoke to match the right side. However at this point the left pipe began to pop intermittently, so I turned in the screw again. Now the left pipe gives off no smoke (or at worst some SMALL amounts of white smoke) and seems to be idling steadily enough.

The right side is completely a different animal. I turned in the screw on this side in an attempt to lean out the mixture and lessen the smoking, but this seemingly has no effect other than creating an even stronger loping idle and, in one case, shutting off the bike. I did manage to get the smoke to go away at one point but the pipe began popping.

I've tried setting the screws to default by seating them and then backing them both out a even 2 turns. This simply returns me to the right-smoking-hot phase.

Currently, the right screw is about 2 1/2 turns out and the left is about 4 turns out. The bike runs decently enough but all the above symptoms still apply.

More than anything I feel like I am missing some important technique. My current trial-and-error routine doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere.

any advice? Let me know if I should be more specific, I know I tend to not make sense.

Bikers are a rare breed.
Harley riders are a dime a dozen.

'83 KZ750 LTD K1. "Don't make me get the belt..."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.