needles

• baborz72
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Not enough hours!
More
21 Oct 2012 10:24 #554958 by baborz72
needles was created by baborz72
What needles would be used to enrich the part throttle circuit on a 76 KZ900A4? VM28 carbs. Has a lean out only at highway cruise speeds. Good at idle, good top end and can throttle out of it. Needles are lifted all the way, float levels have been varied from high to low, effecting all other performance, but always have part throttle lean out. Runs better on the highway with the enrichment/choke activated. Suts the plugs a bit running around town on the pilot indicating a slight rich condition there, nice color after a hard run and white-light tan after a part throttle run. It's not draining the bowls because I can throttle out of it. The carbs have been fitted with 130 mains, .060 air bleeds,.020 emulsion orifices. Running the stock older z1 needles. Forgot the numbers, I'll get them. No isolated cylinders. Compression is 130 across the board. Plugs are consistent. Just need more mid range fuel.....help please. :S

It'll go...or...It'll blow!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• baborz72
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Not enough hours!
More
21 Oct 2012 10:26 #554959 by baborz72
Replied by baborz72 on topic needles
5DL31 needles.

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
21 Oct 2012 17:00 #554998 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic needles
I could be wrong but I thought the 76 900 A4 came with vm26ss carbs not vm28sc carbs.

What type or air filter(s) and exhaust are you running?

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

• baborz72
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Not enough hours!
More
22 Oct 2012 00:40 #555118 by baborz72
I'll have to re-measure, but I am pretty sure I had 28.... I think I am going to try a 5f3 and see where that lands me. I have read that the air on the highway with pods instead of the airbox. I noticed that is isn't nearly as bad around town as on the highway. Could I just be fighting an air issue? I can also re-position my legs to shroud the carbs and it seems to change. I will try to find a happy medium and keep you all posted of the results. I even went back and re-checked my float levels today and ran a thicker oil on my pods(that screwed it up across the board!). As well as trying several needle positions. It runs best at full rise/rich. 130 main jets and .060" bleeds, idle circuit is beautiful, but best with the needle at mid position which worsens the part throttle lean out.

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
22 Oct 2012 04:18 #555130 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic needles
You may well have 28s but I am pretty sure the 76 900 A4 came stock with vm26ss carbs with the following internals;

main jet 115
pilot jet 17.5
jet needle 5DL31 set to 3rd slot
needle jet O-6
air jet 1.0
slide cutaway 1.5
air screw 1 3/8 + or - 1/4
fuel level 3mm
float height 22mm

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

• baborz72
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Not enough hours!
More
22 Oct 2012 22:02 #555277 by baborz72
I believe you may be right. That is all correct as far as the internals go....or went rather.... stock pilots. Idles great when the needles are in the center position, rich when lifted. 130 mains. Air bleeds were drilled on two carbs for some reason. I drilled them all to match, that is why the pilot is a bit large. She runs great around town and wide open. I have noticed that leg positioning definitely makes a difference. I am obviously fighting a high airflow issue(I would refer to this as a problem, but good airflow is never a "problem" unless you aren't tuned for it). With all the people running pods and similar combos, I figured somebody out there has had to tune with needles. Going back to stock is not an option or a desire at this point as it didn't run right with the stock internals and pods, or open, with or without open exhaust. I am running torque stepped 4-2-1 open exhaust. It will haze the rear tire and hang the front end on a 1st gear downshift at 35 and run to about 9000 strong. Just has a highway/cruise lean out....BAD!....