Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

not firing 19 Jun 2006 07:35 #55470

• Secondtime
  • Secondtime's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I bought new carb kits for my 77 1000 ltd. and put them in. The bike was sitting for a few years. I took off the carbs and installed the kits. I put them back on and now I only have one cylinder firing. I thought it was the coils because at first all cylinders where'nt firing, but they seem to have tested out fine. I opening the idle mix screws until one cylinder started to run. I have new plugs however they're black and sooty. I'm thinking there is no fuel getting through. I've got all the screws out about 4 turns to get to this point. Could it be that when I took the carbs off, some sludge in them got moved around and plugged everything up. Also when I tested the coils, I got 5+ohms on the leads and anywhere from 16000 to 26000 on the plugs.
If anyone can help, :S
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

not firing 19 Jun 2006 08:41 #55477

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
If you put new plugs in and they are now black and sooty, then you are definitly getting fuel, that where the black and sooty comes from.
Set the float height?
KD9JUR

not firing 19 Jun 2006 12:05 #55514

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
1. Adjust valve clearances. Lack of clearance causes compression loss which causes poor combustion; hence crud on plugs
www.wgcarbs.com/269767.html
2. Check timing. Replace plugs, points, condensors, plug wires and caps. Set plug dwell. Also check coils for voltage going to the coils. See filebase article on COIL POWERING - This is also another source of poor combustion... make sure you use NGK B8ES spark plugs
3. To properly clean carburetors that have been sitting and probably crudded up, they must be totally disassembled and soaked or professionally cleaned. When complete, set float levels and then synchronize and set the idle speed with the bike warmed. Set the pilot mixture screws to 1.5 to 2 turns out from very lightly seated. While you can fine tune the idle mixture, the setting will get you very close. Just putting "rebuild" kits in a set of carburetors seldom ensures they will work right.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

not firing 12 Jul 2006 04:28 #61318

• Secondtime
  • Secondtime's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Wired
Had used resistor type plugs and u were right. that was the problem.
Still is not comfortable at highway speeds tho.
Going to check out the valve clearances this week.
I don't have anything to compare to, but I still don't think I'm getting the peformance I should be.

not firing 12 Jul 2006 06:27 #61345

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Compare it to itself... will it pull smoothly to redline in the lower gears? If not, you still have issues.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: