76 KZ900A4, VM28s

• baborz72
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Not enough hours!
More
18 Oct 2012 12:06 #554498 by baborz72
76 KZ900A4, VM28s was created by baborz72
Ok, These carbs have been giving me fits! I originally had two lean and two rich. I found that while tuning. Someone had drilled the hi-speed air bleeds of two carbs creating a lean condition. I drilled them all and in turn had to go to a 130 main jet. It was too fat, so I drilled the emusion tubes to further assist the air bleeds. Now it idles great and is good around town and on hard accelleration. I did have to raise the needles all the way to get rid if a part throttke lean cindition that I have been chasing since the beginning. It still has the 1/4-1/2(or a bit more) lean condition out on the highway. I am thinking I need a different needle set. Any suggestions??? :whistle:

It'll go...or...It'll blow!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2012 13:57 #554507 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic 76 KZ900A4, VM28s
I would change everything back to their stock settings and start there as a base line. Has the engine been modified and do you know why the air jets were drilled?

• baborz72
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Not enough hours!
More
18 Oct 2012 16:34 #554529 by baborz72
Replied by baborz72 on topic 76 KZ900A4, VM28s
Don't know why or if the engine has mods. Don't think so. It runs so good up top and I am just trying to get rid of a part throttle issue. It has a 4-2-1 exhaust and pods. Pull very strong to around 9500. Idles liks a pussycat.....just has a cruise lean out.

• kawasaki mike
  • User
  • kawasaki mike
More
22 Oct 2012 20:42 #555257 by kawasaki mike
Replied by kawasaki mike on topic 76 KZ900A4, VM28s
try putting the fat white washer that sits on top of your needle,under the metal clip which sits in the only groove those needles have. it worked fine on my vm28ss carbs.i also put the thin washer on top of my needle. the cut-a-way on your carbs are probably #2 if you had #1.5 that would be perfect but more expensive than changing to a 5dl31 needle which would work well for your aplication. thats the same needle that comes in the 29mm smoothbores. happy jetting. oh, i am assuming your carbs are mikuni 28mm vmss and not 28mm vmsc.

Am addicted to Z1's and kz 900's have an el camino, fly rc helicoptors and am strung out on horsepower.

• baborz72
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Not enough hours!
More
22 Oct 2012 21:43 #555272 by baborz72
Replied by baborz72 on topic 76 KZ900A4, VM28s
The carbs already have 5DL31 needles. There are no washers on top of the needles at all, just a metal screw on retainer. They are mechanical smoothbore carbs. I don't know how to I.D. them. I was looking on the charts for Mikuni carbs and found the breakdown and was thinking on using the 5F3 needles.