plug chop doesnt show me anything? what gives?

More
15 Oct 2012 21:12 #554073 by whitskz
89 octane

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lushbaugh
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
15 Oct 2012 21:15 #554075 by lushbaugh
Replied by lushbaugh on topic plug chop doesnt show me anything? what gives?
newer fuels out of the pump dont color well for me personally. also use a plug cleaner or fresh plugs after every change to speed it up. i got a media plug cleaner its awesome for this and two strokes.

79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..

More
16 Oct 2012 03:04 #554140 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic plug chop doesnt show me anything? what gives?
don't use old plugs always use new and you don't have to put a large amount of miles on it eithershort quick blasts will tell you more. pick an rpm level you want to check then ride 1/2 mile or so at that rpm level, then pull in the clutch and hit your kill switch at the same time don't let the clutch out and stop the bike with your brakes.this is important.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
16 Oct 2012 08:05 - 16 Oct 2012 08:07 #554145 by Patton
whitskz post 554043...new dyna s, verified with timing light.

Was the same "very flat acceleration and really no spunk above 1/2 throttle" happening before the new Dyna-S was installed?

What, if any, difference in engine performance resulted from installing the new Dyna-S?

Was any other engine work done besides the Dyna-S?

Did the "very flat acceleration and really no spunk above 1/2 throttle" occur spontaneously, or gradually worsen over some period of time?

Is there any doubt about whether the correct mark was used when timing the new Dyna-S ignition?
As known, the F mark -- not the T mark -- should align with the case mark at idle rpm.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Oct 2012 08:07 by Patton.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
16 Oct 2012 10:44 #554177 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic plug chop doesnt show me anything? what gives?
i find that its better to go by feel. the new fuel doesnt color very much. so u dont know how long to hold the throttle to get color, then u must do it the same, after each adjustment.
i just adjust the jets untill it feels smooth.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motor Head

More
16 Oct 2012 22:34 #554263 by loudhvx
Plug chops won't generally tell you much unless you are pretty far off on the mixture. If you are anywhere being close, it takes a lot more miles to really show the effects of minor jetting changes, so much so that there is very little reason to actually chop the ignition and coast to a stop.

If you are far off, enough that a plug chop shows anything, the symptoms will be obvious right away anyway. (Black smoke, bogging if too rich, or very weak running with popping and running hot if too lean.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motor Head

• kawasaki mike
  • User
  • kawasaki mike
More
17 Oct 2012 23:53 #554440 by kawasaki mike
Replied by kawasaki mike on topic plug chop doesnt show me anything? what gives?
if you dont see any color, man you are way lean. with fuel levels set right and timimg right, go up at least 2 sizes on the main, i think you are very lean.

Am addicted to Z1's and kz 900's have an el camino, fly rc helicoptors and am strung out on horsepower.

More
20 Oct 2012 15:02 #554866 by whitskz
thanks but its got 135's in it right now. i retarded the timing a tiny tiny bit, not even one degree to get it spot on at idle. my biggest issue now is with a bog immediately off idle. i can cruise around at 25-35 on almost no throttle at all but as soon as i crack it to accelerate theres a brief stumble, then normal acceleration.

More
20 Oct 2012 18:28 #554880 by Patton

whitskz wrote: ...retarded the timing a tiny tiny bit, not even one degree to get it spot on at idle. my biggest issue now is with a bog immediately off idle. i can cruise around at 25-35 on almost no throttle at all but as soon as i crack it to accelerate theres a brief stumble, then normal acceleration.

Imo, the brief stumble as described is not attributable to the main jet size, and not attributable to minimally imperfect ignition timing.

Perhaps the pilot circuits are not yet perfectly clean.

If the carbs at hand are pilot mixture version instead of pilot air version, can modify the above described cleaning method accordingly.

The idea it to assure that the mixture passes without obstruction into the carb bore.

If not already done, would perform the clear tube test to assure that all carb fuel levels are within specs.

And also assure that the choke plungers are all fully down and closed when the choke is supposedly OFF.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments: