carb disassemble

• gixxerkidd03
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Oct 2012 22:09 #553692 by gixxerkidd03
carb disassemble was created by gixxerkidd03
I recently disassembled my carbs to clean them a bit. They came off my 82 750 four. Once I removed to bowl I noticed there were Orange plastic caps shapes almost like a thumb tack. One of them is broken. I can tell these Carbs have been gone though before and it looks like they just stuck the little broken piece with the black seal back in the hole. Can u just remove these Orange caps? It seems like on other Japanese carbs these don't exist.
Thanks

1981 KZ750e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2012 01:44 #553722 by OldSchoolZ
Replied by OldSchoolZ on topic carb disassemble
yea, those are lowspeed caps. If you remove the jets, you'll see a hole drilled through the side of the mainjets bore in the carb and going into the carb bore for the pilot jet. This is how the pilot gets its fuel, they simply cap the big hole going into the pilot from the bottom.
As long as the hole is plugged from the bottom, it doesnt really matter if it has a top, the top is simply there to touch the float bowl and keep the caps in because the oring can shrink slightly and fall out into the bowl. Its really best to use new caps.

You can also get aftermarket rubber plugs too from suppliers such as K&L, maybe the z1enterprise guy has them also.

Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.

• gixxerkidd03
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Oct 2012 19:54 #553850 by gixxerkidd03
Replied by gixxerkidd03 on topic carb disassemble
ok great. thanks a lot. what is this k&l supplier you speak of? i would love to replace it because i don't trust the o- ring on the broken cap one bit. how it stayed there that long is surprising enough. here is a photo.

[IMG

1981 KZ750e

More
15 Oct 2012 16:47 #554011 by OldSchoolZ
Replied by OldSchoolZ on topic carb disassemble
I used to work at bike shops, K&L is a manufacturer/supplier that most shops can order from. Z1 enterprises is a site the guys here recommend for Z parts, their rep. or owner is registered here.

Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.