carb popping out of bowl vent? backfire maybe?

More
03 Oct 2012 17:30 #552253 by whitskz
78 1000 motor with stock 77 carbs. Got it running the other day and I'm not sure I have the vent lines plumbed correctly. I have the three vents on the side of the carbs vented into tubes running down to the base of the bike. Anyways, I have a pop or backfire coming from the #3 carbs vent hose. Not regular but pretty constant. What should be checked? Also, I can't find a "soft bottom" on the pilot jet screws, they feel stiff and difficult to tell where theyre at before binding the little spring.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2012 17:59 #552258 by 650ed
....with stock 77 carbs.... I have the three vents on the side of the carbs vented into tubes running down to the base of the bike.......

3 vents on stock carbs?

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
03 Oct 2012 18:10 #552260 by gd4now
+1 Ed

IIRC the stock carbs have 2 bowl vents ON carbs #2 and #4 and may have an additional port that is a vacuum port intended to attach to the vacuum controlled petcock. Again IIRC on the vm26ss carbs - which is what I think were stock on the 78 1000s - the vacuum port is on carb #3. If you have the vacuum port open - not blocked or plugged - then you have a vacuum leak and need to resolve it.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

More
03 Oct 2012 18:37 #552263 by whitskz
Awesome, that should be an easy fix then. I assumed they all did the same thing, vent, since they looked the same. I never had the bike or motor in stock setup. Should the other two, 2 and 4, be linked with a tube or vented to atmosphere?

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
03 Oct 2012 18:55 #552265 by gd4now
The vents should be open to the atmosphere, as they allow air in and out of the bowls. As fuel level lowers in the bowls air must replace it, likewise as fuel raises in the bowls air must be removed.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT