Jetting advice. 83 LTD.

• Hatchet
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It's better in the wind.
More
01 Oct 2012 19:14 #551864 by Hatchet
Jetting advice. 83 LTD. was created by Hatchet
Tried a search for this but didn't get too far.

First off, I'm an inexperienced mechanic. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I'm despeately trying to learn this stuff.

I have an '83 KZ750 LTD K1. Currently it's running pods and a straight-cut exhaust with the crossover tube still intact. The jets and needles are still stock.

Naturally the bike runs badly. It won't start at all without full choke and if it's been sitting a while it usually needs starter fluid additionally. It runs and idles well enough with choke on, but will usually die without it.

I want to re-jet the carbs. I'm a new mechanic, but from my diagnosis the bike is starving for fuel in conjunction with the open air system. Which means I'm running lean. So in that case, I'll need to find...bigger jets.

I haven't dissassembled the carbs yet so I can't confirm the sizes but I'm assuming it is running 45 pilots and 125 mains which should be stock for that bike. I'll confirm that.

So what should I look at for an increase? In a similar thread featuring an older bike a member had recommended moving up to 50s and 135s. Please give me your advice.

Oh, and also, eventually I want to attach a new set of pretty non-restrictive, non-baffled mufflers. How will this factor in?

Bikers are a rare breed.
Harley riders are a dime a dozen.

'83 KZ750 LTD K1. "Don't make me get the belt..."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
01 Oct 2012 21:49 #551880 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Jetting advice. 83 LTD.
Either go back to the stock Airbox and the connectors, or buy a jet kit designed for the Carbs and Pods. Get a hold of Dyno Jet, and tell them your combination and altitude you ride at etc. They can set you up with a kit that should get you going. But it may never be perfect with those carbs and Pods. Do a search here on KZR [PODS] it'll open your eyes.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• Hatchet
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It's better in the wind.
More
02 Oct 2012 00:58 #551927 by Hatchet
Replied by Hatchet on topic Jetting advice. 83 LTD.
Thanks for your reply motor head. I will try to get in touch with Dynojet and see if they can help me out.

The bike came to me this way, as it were. Someday I may look into getting an original air box setup on it, but at this point in time I just want to get the thing running.

Bikers are a rare breed.
Harley riders are a dime a dozen.

'83 KZ750 LTD K1. "Don't make me get the belt..."

More
02 Oct 2012 07:28 #551950 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Jetting advice. 83 LTD.
Would suggest initial effort being a proper cleaning of the carbs, which could go a long way toward resolving the reported performance issues.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
04 Oct 2012 10:10 #552392 by havakaw
Replied by havakaw on topic Jetting advice. 83 LTD.
This can easily turn into a nightmare for you.It took me 2 years to get mine right.I did the same thing.Pods/V+H 4-1/Dynojet kit.I eventually took out the jet kit and went back to completly stock needels and jets.The bike hates Ethenol fuel here,but only has troubble around 3k RPM.First off,if you are going to do the work yourself,GET A BOOK!!!Try to disassemble the carbs completly before going out and spending $$$ on a new jet kit.If the pilot screws don't come out easily,life is not going to be fun for you.Get a can of Gunk carb cleaner,and soak EVEYTHING.Get a QUALITY set of rebuild kits that has EVERYTHING included in it.You can order new main jets off E-bay for about $4 each.And you can go up in smaller increments.The thing about the Dynojet kit needels are:Even though they are thinner,they are longer than stock.So that means more messing around tuning,trying to get the right height out of them.Oh and get a set of Allen headded screws for the bowls/caps.Again,E-bay.They make life MUCH easier,and won't strip out like the stock Phillips screws.GOOD LUCK!!!

'80 KZ 750 LTD-H
'82 KZ 1100 A-2 Shafty (ex-bagger)

More
04 Oct 2012 10:13 #552393 by havakaw
Replied by havakaw on topic Jetting advice. 83 LTD.
I forgot:Chase ALL the threads with a GOOD tap.

'80 KZ 750 LTD-H
'82 KZ 1100 A-2 Shafty (ex-bagger)

More
10 Oct 2012 22:32 #553525 by 650mod
Replied by 650mod on topic Jetting advice. 83 LTD.
Havakaw:

I'm having issues with my '78 650 with cold starts. I'm running a Dynojet stage 3 kit, pods, and a 4>1 system from an '02 z750. My issue is cold starting- she doesn't really like to start cold. My pilots are (from left-right sitting on the bike) size #15, #13, #15, #17. This combo seems to work the best. If I ran stock pilots, it runs lean, and if I run all 4 one size over (#17), the far left and inner left run rich. Any tips?

78 kz 650 custom
Wiseco 720cc big bore
Dynajet stage 3 carb kit with pods
2002 Kawasaki Z750 exhaust
2001 Buell lightning front end
1999 Ninja 600 swingarm with 1999 Ninja 900 rear rim
converted to monoshock rear
Too many goodies to list fully