removing pilot jet? chrome polish?

More
29 Sep 2012 00:38 - 29 Sep 2012 00:40 #551490 by jbeebe1
removing pilot jet? chrome polish? was created by jbeebe1
Hey guys, on my 81 440B2 i just pulled the carbs to clean and rebuild. I can't seem to get the pilot jet and screw out. Everything else came apart fine except that. It's the one on the "right" of the "upper" carb in the pic, where its set down in. What does this even do? The fsm says when i put it back in I have to put some compound around it to keep it in or something?

Also, i cleaned up the diaphragm caps with aluminum foil and water (after the current picture was taken), but does anyone know of any good chrome polish?

79 Honda 400 Hondamatic
79 Honda CB650
81 Honda CX500
81 Honda Passport C70
others coming in and out all the time!
Last edit: 29 Sep 2012 00:40 by jbeebe1.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2012 10:16 #551510 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic removing pilot jet? chrome polish?
Bump. C"mon riders of 440's.

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
29 Sep 2012 11:57 - 29 Sep 2012 11:58 #551531 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic removing pilot jet? chrome polish?

jbeebe1 wrote: ...81 440B2...can't seem to get the pilot jet and screw out...It's the one on the "right" of the "upper" carb in the pic, where its set down in. What does this even do? The fsm says when i put it back in I have to put some compound around it to keep it in or something?....

That's the "Pilot Adjust Screw" to regulate the air/fuel mixture in the carb pilot circuit.
There's also a spring plus an o'ring and a washer that fit onto the screw which stabilize the screw in its position, keep it air-tight, and allow for smooth rotation of the screw.
Following correct assembly, it likely doesn't require any goop.

The carb parts diagram may be viewed at kawasaki.com, which includes numerous including parts diagrams, part names, part numbers, models sharing same part, availability, etc. Here's a link for help with navigating the site and finding information.
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&catid=13&id=376734

Much helpful info may also be found at:
www.armbell.com/forum/index.php?c=6&sid=...571a51a&mforum=kz400
and
www.kz400.com/

A manual may also be viewed and downloaded:
home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Mnls/Mnls.html

To remove the stuck screw, would suggest soaking overnight, or a few days if necessary, with Kroil, Liquid Wrench, PJBlaster, or a mixture of ATF/acetone or ATF/kerosene.

Then, after assuring the carb is completely free of any gasoline or gasoline residue, apply heat with a torch directed around the screw immediately before attempting to break it loose.
(Probably needs a new o'ring anyhow.)

Not being a bone-fide 440 rider, roy won't be awarding any points. :lol:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 29 Sep 2012 11:58 by Patton.

More
29 Sep 2012 12:54 #551538 by jbeebe1
Replied by jbeebe1 on topic removing pilot jet? chrome polish?

Patton wrote:

jbeebe1 wrote: ...81 440B2...can't seem to get the pilot jet and screw out...It's the one on the "right" of the "upper" carb in the pic, where its set down in. What does this even do? The fsm says when i put it back in I have to put some compound around it to keep it in or something?....

That's the "Pilot Adjust Screw" to regulate the air/fuel mixture in the carb pilot circuit.
There's also a spring plus an o'ring and a washer that fit onto the screw which stabilize the screw in its position, keep it air-tight, and allow for smooth rotation of the screw.
Following correct assembly, it likely doesn't require any goop.

Thanks for the response. in the fsm it states to "turn in the screw and count the number of turns until it seats fully but not tightly" and then remove. When reassembling I screw it all the way in, then back it out that number.

Should i follow that procedure?

79 Honda 400 Hondamatic
79 Honda CB650
81 Honda CX500
81 Honda Passport C70

More
29 Sep 2012 16:15 - 29 Sep 2012 16:27 #551555 by Patton

jbeebe1 wrote: ...in the fsm it states to "turn in the screw and count the number of turns until it seats fully but not tightly" and then remove. When reassembling I screw it all the way in, then back it out that number. Should i follow that procedure?

That's to help return the screw to the same adjustment position it was in before being removed. And presupposes a screw that isn't frozen and requiring special techniques simply to break it loose.

Imo, the first priority would be breaking the screw loose without damaging it, according to the suggestions already noted. Let us know your progress with regard to removing the screw, whether further more serious efforts are needed, such as possibly resorting to reverse drilling, etc.

Meanwhile, try to avoid damaging the slot in the head of the screw.
Soak -- heat -- loosen -- remove -- and don't worry about the tuning adjustment aspects.

If existing number of turns out from lightly seated proves indeterminable, could use reassembly setting position similar to the other carb. Or the default preliminary setting usually noted in the FSM.

In any event, the screw will need re-adjustment later when fine tuning the carbs, regardless of whether or not it was returned to the exact "frozen" position.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 29 Sep 2012 16:27 by Patton.

More
29 Sep 2012 16:53 - 29 Sep 2012 16:55 #551556 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic removing pilot jet? chrome polish?

Patton wrote:
Imo, the first priority would be breaking the screw loose without damaging it

Best way is to cut down a screwdriver to fit. Find a screwdriver whose blade thickness matches the jet screw's gap PRECISELY and then grind it to the width to match the screw width.

Typically, a screwdriver whose width fits the screw has too thin of a blade and using it ruins both the screwdriver and the brass screw.

NOTE: I would put some Kroil or similar on that screw and soak it overnight to try to loosen it up.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 29 Sep 2012 16:55 by bountyhunter.

More
29 Sep 2012 20:04 - 29 Sep 2012 20:05 #551583 by jbeebe1
Well i managed to break the pilot screws loose. With about a day of soaking in PB Blaster and me buying a cheapo driver from H.F. that fit perfectly, she broke free without too much incident. I could have torched it too, but wanted to do that as a last resort.

The first one i did, i couldn't tell how many turns out it was seated before i started messing with it, so on the 2nd carb I payed more attention and it was almost exactly 2 full turns from bottom. I returned them both to that position once i cleaned them out.

Also, the bottom of the screw at that tiny little tip (that i felt like i was going to break off with every touch)...should there be a hole in it? mine is solid with no hole, and i'm just wondering how this screw actually adjusts the a/f ratio (mechanically speaking).

79 Honda 400 Hondamatic
79 Honda CB650
81 Honda CX500
81 Honda Passport C70
Last edit: 29 Sep 2012 20:05 by jbeebe1.

More
29 Sep 2012 20:27 #551587 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic removing pilot jet? chrome polish?

jbeebe1 wrote: Well i managed to break the pilot screws loose. With about a day of soaking in PB Blaster and me buying a cheapo driver from H.F. that fit perfectly, she broke free without too much incident. I could have torched it too, but wanted to do that as a last resort.

The first one i did, i couldn't tell how many turns out it was seated before i started messing with it, so on the 2nd carb I payed more attention and it was almost exactly 2 full turns from bottom. I returned them both to that position once i cleaned them out.

Also, the bottom of the screw at that tiny little tip (that i felt like i was going to break off with every touch)...should there be a hole in it? mine is solid with no hole, and i'm just wondering how this screw actually adjusts the a/f ratio (mechanically speaking).

No holes in the screw. It meters airflow by moving in and out of the seat.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
29 Sep 2012 20:33 #551589 by Patton

jbeebe1 wrote: ...wondering how this screw actually adjusts the a/f ratio (mechanically speaking).

The carb pilot circuit includes a passageway whereby the air/fuel mixture passes through an orifice into the carb bore, from where it is sucked into the combustion chamber.

The pilot screw regulates the volume of mixture allowed to pass through the orifice.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
29 Sep 2012 21:16 #551593 by jbeebe1
thanks for the help, and for the explanation guys!

79 Honda 400 Hondamatic
79 Honda CB650
81 Honda CX500
81 Honda Passport C70