Carb leak/draining?

More
22 Sep 2012 20:43 #550312 by PFD
Carb leak/draining? was created by PFD
So after cleaning and rebuilding my vm26's I noticed something odd, Ive been using clear hose for fuel lines for observation purposes. After a ride I switch off the petcock with the clear lines are full of gas, the next morning the lines are half full and by the next day they are empty to the fuel inlet nipple.

The carbs have all new gaskets and orings, all oem from Kawi. The petcock is clean and rebuilt, oem orings and it doesn't leak. The tank is clean, it got a full de rust and is spotless. Needles and jets were ultrasonically cleaned, I just checked the float levels with the clear tube method. All are 3-4mm below the float bowl gasket, I just put new float bowl needles and seats in prior to checking float levels. While checking float bowl levels the level sat rock still with no leaking rising of the fuel level.

Any ideas what I should re check? When the fuel lines are draining there is no gas dripping from any of the carbs anywhere, I was thinking of putting it back on the rack I built and hook it up to my external gas line and leave it to see if I can see where it's leaking from. I have yet to drain the oil to see if there's gas in it, I had the pods off of it while it was draining and no leaks fron the pod side of the carb.

Getting frustrated with it, too boot I'm dealing with leaking float needles on my cb750 but that's clearly pouring out where I can see it.

78 Kz1000A2, 77 Cb750K daily rider, pinstriper and signpainter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2012 22:40 #550328 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic Carb leak/draining?
I wonder how much fuel that actually is. I am guessing your seat/needle(s) are seeping a bit. If you could hook up the clear hose you could see which carb has a higher level after sitting. I just recently checked needle/seats by inserting them into the end of a tube that was connected to a tank. I held the needle in and watched for leakage around it. I found the bad one.
Wayne

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

More
23 Sep 2012 16:41 #550431 by PFD
Replied by PFD on topic Carb leak/draining?
^^^ Good call on hooking up the seat and needle to a tube, if I strike out with leaving it hooked up on the rack I'll give that a shot. At least with two bikes off the road with leaky carbs I have the time to sort it out, haha.

• lushbaugh
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
23 Sep 2012 16:43 #550433 by lushbaugh
Replied by lushbaugh on topic Carb leak/draining?
i have the same problem. its a bear

79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..

More
10 Oct 2012 03:32 #553417 by PFD
Replied by PFD on topic Carb leak/draining?

lushbaugh wrote: i have the same problem. its a bear

I'm going to have to check something on the mikuni's,I was having a hell of a time with a leaky float on my cb750. Turns out the tab on the float had a dimple worn into it from the needle touching it, I filed the dimple out and polished the tab after running through every possible thing that could have been hanging up the float, new needles, swapping bowls, needles and floats from non leaking bodies. Voila no leak, float level is dead on per manual spec.

I have a feeling something similar is happening with them, something's not allowing the needle to fully seat.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
10 Oct 2012 08:05 #553424 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Carb leak/draining?
I had a hair line crack in one of my float bowls over flow tubes that ran the length of the tube.

After removing the bowls and swamping needles and adjusting the float a bunch of times I finally found it.

But the leaking was obvious as it would drain most of the bowl right away.

I heard that it is sort of a common problem.

78 KZ1000 A2A