BS38 Needle Plates coming loose

• muddytailgate
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Sep 2012 09:08 - 20 Sep 2012 09:22 #549835 by muddytailgate
BS38 Needle Plates coming loose was created by muddytailgate
Anybody have the problem with Needle Plates coming loose on carbs? The needle plates are the plastic button shaped dohickey that keeps jet needle in position, inside the slide and diaphragm, under spring. When I bought this '76 kz750, one of the carbs had the plate halfway up the slide. Last week (2 years after buying bike) the other one had come loose enough that needle came out of jet and rested beside jet. Looking for someone to commiserate with me and possibly suggest some sort of prevention. Thanks!
MTG

1976 KZ 750b
Last edit: 20 Sep 2012 09:22 by muddytailgate. Reason: added

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
20 Sep 2012 09:41 #549838 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic BS38 Needle Plates coming loose
Do you have the correct needles in them? this is what Kawasaki shows: 16009-070 Jet Needle, 4JN19
The plastic washer should stay put by spring pressure, this is its only retainer besides the adjustment clip. The only way I can see it pushing up like you say is to have shorter needles, lifting out of the jet. Then as the slide comes back down it pushes the needle up into the slide.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Attachments:

• muddytailgate
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Sep 2012 09:51 #549843 by muddytailgate
Replied by muddytailgate on topic BS38 Needle Plates coming loose
That makes sense but I have no way of knowing. I am assuming I got the correct rebuild kit since everything else worked. It may be a coincidence that the first carb was before rebuild and had same problem.

1976 KZ 750b

More
20 Sep 2012 16:50 #549920 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic BS38 Needle Plates coming loose

muddytailgate wrote: Anybody have the problem with Needle Plates coming loose on carbs? The needle plates are the plastic button shaped dohickey that keeps jet needle in position, inside the slide and diaphragm, under spring. When I bought this '76 kz750, one of the carbs had the plate halfway up the slide. Last week (2 years after buying bike) the other one had come loose enough that needle came out of jet and rested beside jet. Looking for someone to commiserate with me and possibly suggest some sort of prevention. Thanks!
MTG

The BS-38 used two different types: the ones in mine use the metal clip which holds the plastic button from sliding down so it can't do that.

The other type (shown in the picture) might, I have not worked with those.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
20 Sep 2012 16:53 - 20 Sep 2012 16:59 #549922 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic BS38 Needle Plates coming loose
It's possible they may be assembled wrong or have the clip in the wrong slot? As said above. the spring should hold the plastic washer in place against the clip that snaps into the needle slot.

Is the clip tight in the slot?

NOTE: the needle should not be moving up and down with respect to the slide body in operation, the spring should hold it all the way up. The "floating" needle assembly with spring is so the needle can move around and match the position of the jet as the float rises and falls. Needle should not be moving around in the slide.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 20 Sep 2012 16:59 by bountyhunter.

• muddytailgate
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Sep 2012 20:25 #549953 by muddytailgate
Replied by muddytailgate on topic BS38 Needle Plates coming loose
huh, funny. As i recall: needle clip on needle, needle into slide, plastic button over needle, spring over button. Maybe when I rebuilt them, I didnt press button down all the way. i noticed last night there seemed to be a false bottom at first, but I am really grasping. I was sure I would get a bunch of "oh, yeah, happens all the time" replies. Thanks guys.

1976 KZ 750b