Engine bogs right when I get to 55-60 mph

More
11 Sep 2012 15:48 #548040 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic Engine bogs right when I get to 55-60 mph
Yes sir, just seal it off and you should be good. You just need one running to the vacuum petcock if so equiped, the rest capped. If you do, make sure you also plug the rest of the emmissions stuff. Having some there and some not might do weird stuff.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2012 16:02 #548042 by Lddemi
Replied by Lddemi on topic Engine bogs right when I get to 55-60 mph

Del_Herring wrote: Yes sir, just seal it off and you should be good. You just need one running to the vacuum petcock if so equiped, the rest capped. If you do, make sure you also plug the rest of the emmissions stuff. Having some there and some not might do weird stuff.

What are your thoughts on using something like JB Weld to permanently seal it off? I searched through AutoZone and found nothing that was suitable.

1984 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD Shaft

More
11 Sep 2012 16:13 #548044 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic Engine bogs right when I get to 55-60 mph
I would definitely not do that. Those are also the ports which are used for synchronizing the carbs, so they do get used for tuning. I don't know where everyone gets the little caps for them, but I'm sure one of the more experienced around here can tell you. There are definitely little rubber caps for those though. Can probably just ask at a motorcycle shop, but I've always just left the emissions stuff on in case I go somewhere that actually checks it, so I don't know.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
11 Sep 2012 17:09 #548059 by Lddemi
I think I found it... Do these look about right?

www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?item=KL11-4972

More
11 Sep 2012 18:07 #548072 by DiamondSkyBlue1000
Replied by DiamondSkyBlue1000 on topic Engine bogs right when I get to 55-60 mph
Thems the ones!

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
11 Sep 2012 22:50 #548150 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Engine bogs right when I get to 55-60 mph
Go back and look at the carb breakdown picture i posted. #14043 is the Inlet valve screen, on top of the float valve. If this is restricted you will not get the rate of fuel to that carb. The far left carb is #1, and when the bike sits on the side stand all heavy particulates will flow to it from the fuel tank. So it could be partially blocked. Or the Float could be stuck on its hinge, this is also common on bikes that have sat for some time. I'd pull those carbs and clean them, possibly some rebuild kits. Remove the plug over the Idle mixture screws for later adjustment, and removal of the screws for cleaning the low speed circuit. #92066 in the drawing.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lddemi

More
12 Sep 2012 11:52 #548246 by Lddemi
Thanks for all the help. Looks like I'm going to definitely need to clean the carbs at this point. I could only get the bike up to 70 mph on the highway (used to go to 90 pretty easily).

Hopefully it will be nice enough this Sunday for me to pull the carburetor apart and get everything running smoothly again. I'm assuming there have been hundreds of threads on here with people who have cleaned their carbs so I'll just start studying!

More
13 Sep 2012 18:17 #548501 by Lddemi
Updating to help those who stumble here by google in the future...

I completely removed the "Clean Air" equipment from the bike by plugging the reed air valves with rubber stoppers and plugging the hole in the airbox as well with another one. Also, all of the carburetors except 3 are plugged with valve covers. Here's a picture for reference:

The bike still won't budge past 70 mph on the highway. I notice that when I'm going at lower speeds, when I twist the throttle past halfway it makes a very "diesel truck" sound and it refuses to put anymore power to the wheels.

I've got a few more things I need to try before I give up, but I'll update this thread as I learn more!

More
17 Sep 2012 10:13 #549207 by Lddemi
Strangely, a couple days ago when I was heading home, the bike just died out like it had run out of gas. So I pushed it a quarter mile (brutal) and filled up the tank. When I tried to start it up again it wouldn't start. I flipped it over to Prime and it started up fine and worked PERFECTLY. It was like I was riding a completely different bike! Where the bike usually would bog out, instead there was a major surge in power...

Anyway, that lasted till yesterday when it reverted back to the same conditions I've had this whole time. I guess I really do need to clean the carbs then.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
17 Sep 2012 12:40 - 17 Sep 2012 12:42 #549229 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Engine bogs right when I get to 55-60 mph

Attachment seafoam_2012-09-17.jpg not found

Pull the petcock out and make sure its clean then refill the tank and toss a can of sea foam in there and run a tank of gas through it B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Sep 2012 12:42 by wireman.

More
17 Sep 2012 20:37 #549335 by Lddemi

MFolks wrote: 2. Remove the sparkplug caps(they unscrew from the sparkplug wires) and test them with a multimeter, they should have 5000 ohms for each one. Before re-installing them, trim about 1/4" off the end of the sparkplug wires and screw the caps back on.

Holy Moley! I was reading back over the suggestions offered earlier in the thread when I came back across this one. Trimming the spark plug wires was the single best performance increase I've yet to experience on this bike. Seriously, it's just miraculous how buttery smooth my acceleration is now!

Anyway, I took it up on the highway and still had a speed ceiling of 70 mph... so strange!