weird float leak

• lushbaugh
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
06 Sep 2012 16:04 #547075 by lushbaugh
weird float leak was created by lushbaugh
my far left carb overflows intermittenly and if its drip dropping and i touch the nipple on the bottom of the bowl it will drain ? its odd, any quick fix like popping just the bowl off and bending the tang on the float?

79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2012 16:20 #547079 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic weird float leak
Using any of the Ethanol gasoline? If so, read this:

Ethanol In Gasoline Problems (E-10, E-15, E-20, E-30, & E-85)

Certain materials commonly used with gasoline may be incompatible with high-level ethanol blends, causing them to degrade and contaminate the fuel. Metals that have been shown to degrade over time in the presence of high-level alcohol blends include brass,(floats & jets) lead, zinc(carb bodies) and lead-based solder.

Nonmetallic materials that degrade when in contact with ethanol include natural rubber, polyurethane, cork gasket material, leather, polyvinyl chloride (PVC) polyamides, and certain thermoplastic or thermoset polymers.

On the other hand, unplated steel, nickel-plated steel, stainless steel, black iron and bronze have shown resistance to ethanol corrosion, with nonmetallic materials like reinforced fiberglass, Buna-N, Neoprene rubber, polypropylene, nitrile rubber, Viton and Teflon meeting acceptable usage standards with E85.

1. Ethanol can break down resins and fillers in fiberglass gas tanks, causing them to leak.

2. Resins leached from fiberglass tanks can go through the fuel system, sticking to valves and other internal engine parts.

3.These deposits have caused bent pushrods and have clogged intake valves.

4.The alcohol attracts water, leading to increased corrosion in metal gas tanks.

5.Water in the fuel affects the octane and leads to knocking and decreased performance.

6.Ethanol acts as an efficient solvent, gradually cleaning out the accumulated gunk in fuel tanks and lines, and clogging carburetors.

7. Certain rubber gaskets and fuel lines are weakened by ethanol. Some rubber fuel lines may develop internal swelling, restricting the flow of gasoline. My understanding is the Silicone fuel lines resist the effects of Ethanol in gas.

8. The Ethanol in the gas has been reported to attack the glue used in gas filters, rendering them useless, as the paper filter medium is now coated with glue. It also softened the filter hose connection ends, causing possible failure.

9. Here’s a picture of an Ethanol softened fuel filter:
www.kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/54385...ine-visu-filter-junk

If your float bowls needle valves are rubber tipped, the Ethanol may be attacking them,making the floats not work correctly.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
06 Sep 2012 16:25 - 22 Jan 2013 23:58 #547081 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic weird float leak
delete
Last edit: 22 Jan 2013 23:58 by martin_csr.

• lushbaugh
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
06 Sep 2012 16:26 #547082 by lushbaugh
Replied by lushbaugh on topic weird float leak
all we have around here is 10 percent i believe., im using vm28 pumpers so i i dunno what needle valves are in it. and i use 110 low lead {av gas} when my dad brings some from work but its been forever since he has

79 kz1000 ltd all apart

More
06 Sep 2012 16:31 #547086 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic weird float leak

lushbaugh wrote: my far left carb overflows intermittenly and if its drip dropping and i touch the nipple on the bottom of the bowl it will drain ? its odd, any quick fix like popping just the bowl off and bending the tang on the float?

Overflow circuit may be partially obstructed.

Bending the float tang is to adjust fuel level with a properly functioning (non-leaking) float valve.

Bending the float tang is NOT to cure a leaking float valve.

A discharge of gasoline through the overflow nipple could result from such conditions as:
Dirty float needle and/or seat;
Worn float needle and/or seat;
Cracked and/or loose overflow tube;
Leaking and/or damaged float;
Bent (sticking/rubbing) float assembly;
Float improperly installed upside-down.

Attempting to prevent float valve leakage by bending the float tang is imo ill-advised, and will most likely result in an out-of-spec fuel level.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• lushbaugh
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
06 Sep 2012 16:35 #547088 by lushbaugh
i just cant win lol its the battery not keeping charge first and melted fuses now one carb acting up.... its only when its on the side stand....

79 kz1000 ltd all apart

More
06 Sep 2012 16:43 - 22 Jan 2013 23:55 #547090 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic weird float leak
never mind - misread
Last edit: 22 Jan 2013 23:55 by martin_csr.

• lushbaugh
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
06 Sep 2012 16:59 #547092 by lushbaugh
think it may be my extreme-ish sidestand lean? ill start nixing the fuel more attentively if so,

79 kz1000 ltd all apart

More
06 Sep 2012 17:50 - 06 Sep 2012 17:51 #547104 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic weird float leak
Don't bend the float tang without first doing the clear tube test to see where the fuel (not float) levels are set. If the fuel levels are ok leave the tangs alone. If it's only doing it after the bike has been sitting on the side stand use the center stand for a few days and see if problem goes away. Also, is very easily could be something as simple as a sticking float valve; you may want to clean the float needle and orifice with a little carb cleaner and q-tip. You can do this without removing the cabrs from the bike; just drop the bowl. Don't use anything abrasive. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 06 Sep 2012 17:51 by 650ed.

• lushbaugh
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
06 Sep 2012 18:20 #547113 by lushbaugh
thanks ed, ill check it out, no center stand so i have to pop it apart asap

79 kz1000 ltd all apart

• jga2z
  • User
  • 2 wheels good ,4 wheels bad
More
07 Sep 2012 12:08 #547270 by jga2z
Replied by jga2z on topic weird float leak

lushbaugh wrote: i touch the nipple on the bottom of the bowl it will drain ?

The only way I'm aware of that that the bowl drain can leak is if the O-ring on the drain screw is bad (eaten up by ethanol?). It is not an overflow drain.
I have no center stand either, so I use a couple 2x4's under side stand and it makes it set pretty level. Be very careful as it could have a tendency to tip over to the right !

currently 1982 LTD1000 UNI dual throat pods, MAC header Supertrapp muffler. Shoei fairing.
The good old days: 1977 KH 400 triple, 1978 KZ650B all the basic mods, My avatar a 1980 LTD 750, ditto on the mods

More
07 Sep 2012 15:05 - 07 Sep 2012 15:06 #547307 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic weird float leak

jga2z wrote: The only way I'm aware of that that the bowl drain can leak is if the O-ring on the drain screw is bad (eaten up by ethanol?). It is not an overflow drain.

Maybe on your carbs, but lots of carbs do have overflow drains on the bottom. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 07 Sep 2012 15:06 by 650ed.