Need help about how to remove...

More
01 Sep 2012 15:14 #546057 by yiro90
Need help about how to remove... was created by yiro90
I have a 1979 KZ1000 C2 and I need help on how to remove the air box to get to the carburetors. Can anyone explain to me how to do this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2012 15:33 - 01 Sep 2012 15:34 #546061 by OldSchoolZ
Replied by OldSchoolZ on topic Need help about how to remove...
Generally, you dont remove the airbox to remove carbs. There should be a couple bolts that secure the airbox,remove them and loosen airbox boot clamps, now pull box as far back as you can. The airbox boots are most likely old and hard as a rock. New they are very soft and plyable. Thats prob why your having a difficult time. Remove cables from carb cable tabs and disconnect fuel line and float bowl drains. It might take some hard pushing and yanking to remove them. I would suggest buying new air box boots if you can get them. Ive had some luck making them soft by heating the boots in hot water and installing after the get soft. But, they will harden again, and usually more hard than before. Hope this helps.

Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.
Last edit: 01 Sep 2012 15:34 by OldSchoolZ.

More
01 Sep 2012 15:39 - 04 Sep 2012 07:19 #546063 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Need help about how to remove...

yiro90 wrote: I have a 1979 KZ1000 C2 and I need help on how to remove the air box to get to the carburetors. Can anyone explain to me how to do this.

No need to remove the air box.

Typically, the air box hoses (between the air box and carbs) have gotten so hard over the years as to make it difficult to detach them from the carbs and allow the carbs to be pulled back away from the engine in order to remove the carbs from the right side (rear brake pedal side) of the bike.

New soft, pliable replacement air box hoses are available, which are easily installed, and make removing and replacing the carbs a non-issue. Would check with Z1 Enterprises about new air box hoses.

Before pulling the carbs back and away from the engine, remember to loosen the 4 clamps that hold the carbs onto the carb holders. When replacing the carbs, it's okay to spray some WD40 or Armorall or silicone lube inside the carb holders so the carbs will slide more easily into position.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 04 Sep 2012 07:19 by Patton.

More
04 Sep 2012 00:29 #546518 by yiro90
Replied by yiro90 on topic Need help about how to remove...
Thank you. Do you guys think you can help me locate on how to tune the carbs i tried looking into the file base but the year and model of my motorcycle there is no files for it.

More
04 Sep 2012 07:30 #546538 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Need help about how to remove...
What engine performance issues are involved?

Has ignition performance been assessed?

Is compression satisfactory?

Valve clearances within specs?

Carb tuning should imo be addressed LAST, and usually not until after all ignition and compression factors pass muster.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
04 Sep 2012 10:28 - 04 Sep 2012 10:29 #546563 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Need help about how to remove...
"File Base" has a lot of info, under "Non Specific Models". That's where you should look for your info, unless its a wiring diagram or a sales brochure.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 04 Sep 2012 10:29 by Motor Head.