What is my problem? (carb help, video inside)

More
28 Aug 2012 22:59 #545365 by xbmxxx
I had my KZ750 running pretty decent there for about a month, then I parked it and shut off the gas for about a month, then when I went to ride it again it barely runs on 1 cyl, backfires, etc. Here is a look at it.

[IMG

I have removed and thoroughly cleaned the carbs twice and it didn't make a dent in the problem. Any other ideas?

( you have to click the video for it to play, and if you watch real close you can see puffs coming out of the carb)

76 KZ750B Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
28 Aug 2012 23:15 #545376 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic What is my problem? (carb help, video inside)
A few things come to mind.
First in that picture, is that silicone around the outside of the intake boot for the carb with the air filter off and the back firing????? Intake leak.
Then whats the compression on each, possible to have a tight intake valve or leaking valve.
Spark plug whats it look like????

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
29 Aug 2012 00:15 #545396 by xbmxxx

Motor Head wrote: A few things come to mind.
First in that picture, is that silicone around the outside of the intake boot for the carb with the air filter off and the back firing????? Intake leak.
Then whats the compression on each, possible to have a tight intake valve or leaking valve.
Spark plug whats it look like????

Thanks for the reply. It looks silicone, but its actually the adhesive residue from duct tape. I had the engine a long time before it had carbs on it and the PO covered the holes with tape to keep junk out. I have carb clean tested for an intake leak and have not found any.

Spark plugs look good, have rejetted for the pods and (lack of) pipes.

I will try to remember to bring my comp tester home from work tomorrow and see what i've got.

76 KZ750B Twin

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
29 Aug 2012 00:26 #545401 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic What is my problem? (carb help, video inside)
If compression is good, and there is no vacuum leak, carbs are definitely clean. Then look at the Ignition. Bad plug wire, fouled plug, coil issue, spark plug, points/ condenser, timing etc.
This is assuming that you have checked the fuel for water, and other contaminates since you said you cleaned the carbs twice.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
29 Aug 2012 17:06 #545505 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic What is my problem? (carb help, video inside)
If it ran good prior to storing it for a month then your carbs are still dirty. Clean them again paying special attention to the idle circuits passages and pilot jets. Make sure all passages in the carb bodies are clean. What most people mean when they say they cleaned their carbs is they took them apart and sprayed carb cleaner all over them so they look clean. The real problem is the small passages in the bodies.