Right cylinder running rich, help

More
27 Aug 2012 19:48 #545150 by CafeKid
Right cylinder running rich, help was created by CafeKid
Hey guys got a question regarding my 79' KZ400,

To start the bike runs and the left cylinder is running great, but when I get a little past half throttle it feels like the right carb is flooding or just isn't working properly, but is definitely running rich.
I Checked the butterfly valves which were fine and replaced the vacuum valve in the right carb because of a minor tear in the rubber, which I thought would fix the problem but still nothing.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

'79 KZ400

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kawasaki mike
  • User
  • kawasaki mike
More
27 Aug 2012 20:07 #545155 by kawasaki mike
Replied by kawasaki mike on topic Right cylinder running rich, help
Sounds like you might need to re-synch the carbs. Mabye it was synched with a tear in the rubber and now that the rubber is new it might be really ritch. The butterfly valves just open up the carb to engine vacuum but the rubbers are the device that lifts the slide. Worth trying.

Am addicted to Z1's and kz 900's have an el camino, fly rc helicoptors and am strung out on horsepower.

More
28 Aug 2012 00:15 #545215 by CafeKid
Replied by CafeKid on topic Right cylinder running rich, help
Thanks Mike, I'll see about taking a look at them sometime tomorrow.

Also Could it have anything to do with the vacuum lines?

Thanks!

'79 KZ400

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
28 Aug 2012 09:54 #545257 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Right cylinder running rich, help
Make sure that both carbs have the same fuel level in the bowls, use the Clear Tube Test. Then which carb has the Vacuum line for the petcock, R or L? Maybe a hole in the diaphragm? A blocked Air Circuit or lose fuel jet can cause rich running. Make sure your compression is good, and the spark quality is good.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
13 Sep 2012 21:08 #548529 by CafeKid
Replied by CafeKid on topic Right cylinder running rich, help
Alright so nothing I've tried has worked. Just to confirm, anything more than half throttle the right cylinder becomes flooded or bogged and its running rich on the right cylinder.

The air filter isn't clogged and carb cleaning wont help. The ignition system works fine as well.

Is there anything else related to the vacuum system that could cause this, or could the choke be somehow stuck to some extent in that carb?

Thanks!

'79 KZ400