KZ750H Starts full choke only, no choke warmed up

• ironslave
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • sup
More
24 Aug 2012 05:51 - 24 Aug 2012 05:55 #544436 by ironslave
So I am looking into why my bike only starts on full choke.

When I start it on full choke it will idle at 1000 for about 5-10 Seconds then the idle with quickly jump up to about 4000 and I cut it to about half choke until the engine is warm.

after it warms up the idle will fluctuate as much as 700 RPMs.

I know the carb need to be synced.

I tried adjusting all the idle screws( I think, they were on top front and centered). . they were backed out pretty far so I turned them all the way in and backed them out 1 1/2 turns and it runs exactly the same. I haven't chopped the plugs since I made the adjustment a few days ago though. last time I checked them they looked good.

The pervious owner drilled holes in the baffles so it may need a rejet.

the carb had some sediment in the bowls when I looked at them but no varnish or gunk otherwise. I blew them out with compressed air.

no problems with acceleration or random dying.

it is slow to return to idle if I drive with the choke on to maintain idle. sometimes the idle will jump up if I let off the clutch and gas when in the 3500 RPM+ range(with choke on to maintain idle).

I let the bike warm up enough to let the choke drop at least half way before I drive and drop it at every stop until it's off.

Havent flushed the tank and it is quite dirty however the petcock fuel filter is in great shape, Should i install an inline filter anyway? ( I will flush the tank tomorrow)

any thoughts, suggestions?

and for those of you that remember my last post (I was intermittently loosing power while accelerating) the problem went away one day and has not returned. I don't know what the issue was, but it resolved itself for now.

Bonus question, what color should I paint my bike, It's already prime red!

The odd part about this is that with the choke on the bike exhibits symptoms of running lean. however once it warms up it has no symptoms of running lean.

1981 KZ750 LTD
Last edit: 24 Aug 2012 05:55 by ironslave.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2012 08:43 - 24 Aug 2012 08:44 #544448 by 650ed
KZ engines are generally cold blooded so using choke to start a cold KZ is normal, and after a couple seconds the revs will jump, so you must reduce the choke; riding with the choke on will result in high revs as you describe. All that is normal. The idle fluctuation with choke off sounds like a vacuum leak. Check carb holders for leaks (let us know if you need instructions) and make sure vacuum caps are on carb holders. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 24 Aug 2012 08:44 by 650ed.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
24 Aug 2012 10:37 #544464 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic KZ750H Starts full choke only, no choke warmed up
Like 650ed said it sounds like a vacuum leak. An in-line fuel filter should be run, but make sure it will flow under the gravity feed system. Regular pressure system filters can starve the carbs for fuel. Having all of the Idle Mixture screws at 1-1/2 turns out from lightly seated is good for a first setting to get it started, but more than likely will need further adjustment. Get it warmed up real good and adjust them then. In = Lean, Out = rich, so get them so each cylinder drops as you turn them in. Then Idles strong after turning back out, around another 1/2- 3/4 turns. Vacuum sync so each is drawing the same amount is going to make the bike run a lot better at Idle and low speed throttle. There are several Manometers on the market, or you can make one.
www.kzrider.com/filebase/doc_download/215-simplevacsynctool

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
24 Aug 2012 16:39 #544546 by rotcrule
How did you get to the air screw?? I can not seem to get my plugs out.

More
24 Aug 2012 16:59 #544550 by 650ed
Air screws are up on the side of the carbs. Here's where they are on VM24SS carbs:

Attachment AirScrew.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

• ironslave
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • sup
More
24 Aug 2012 19:11 #544583 by ironslave
I had to take my Tank off and prop it to the side to get to the air screws.

I will Check for vacuum leaks this weekend. and find a fuel filter

1981 KZ750 LTD

• ironslave
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • sup
More
28 Aug 2012 02:09 #545237 by ironslave
I do have a vacuum leak!!!

1981 KZ750 LTD