1983 Kz550 overflow pours gas

More
22 Aug 2012 21:27 #544177 by nab
1983 Kz550 overflow pours gas was created by nab
Tried to find info on possible causes but came up dry for my carbs. My bike has the vacuum slide carbs with the flat tops. I recently replaced the petcock with a non vacuum petcock and a inline fuel filter. I went through the carbs already and cleaned them thoroughly and the bike ran fine so im thinking a stuck needle valve because it pours gas out as fast as the petcock can flow it. My real question is where can I get one that is definitely for my carbs?

Thanks,
Ben

1983 kz550

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2012 22:09 - 22 Aug 2012 22:09 #544194 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1983 Kz550 overflow pours gas

nab wrote: Tried to find info on possible causes but came up dry for my carbs. My bike has the vacuum slide carbs with the flat tops. I recently replaced the petcock with a non vacuum petcock and a inline fuel filter. I went through the carbs already and cleaned them thoroughly and the bike ran fine so im thinking a stuck needle valve because it pours gas out as fast as the petcock can flow it. My real question is where can I get one that is definitely for my carbs?

Thanks,
Ben

If gasoline is escaping from the overflow nipple, would also check for a cracked or loose overflow tube.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 22 Aug 2012 22:09 by Patton.

More
22 Aug 2012 23:49 #544215 by Jhenry
Replied by Jhenry on topic 1983 Kz550 overflow pours gas
Z1 Enterprises or Sudco will have the float needle and seat, if that is in fact the issue. Patton mentioned one good possibility. Another is a stuck float. I had the same thing happen in the middle of a poker run one time and my friend told me maybe the float is stuck. So I kicked the cab with the toe of my boot. Stopped it right off. Harley guy said "I thought Jap bikes never gave any problems but that guy has to kick his into submission". I thought it was funny anyway. It ended up being a nice ride.

Good Luck!

More
23 Aug 2012 05:10 #544257 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1983 Kz550 overflow pours gas
With some carbs, it might be possible that the float was installed upside down when reassembled.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD