1983 550 ltd m1 resto

More
15 Aug 2012 09:42 - 15 Aug 2012 09:48 #542741 by allen6634
1983 550 ltd m1 resto was created by allen6634
looking for a base line setting for my cv carbs on my 83 kz 550 m shaft , made a mistake hired a guy to re build them and he put them together wrong the carbs have shims under the needle jet , and he removed them ,i know that i can adjust the a/f ratio with the shims but i am trying to save r&r for fear of hurting the treads on my carbs , as i had to r&r them so much to fix them after i got them from the hack.i also forgot to mention that i am running stock exhust i want this bike show room stock,

1983 kz 550 m
Last edit: 15 Aug 2012 09:48 by allen6634. Reason: forgot info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2012 18:55 #542953 by OldSchoolZ
Replied by OldSchoolZ on topic 1983 550 ltd m1 resto
Air fuel ratio adjustment is your air fuel screws. It seems no-one replied because your post mostly seems like bitching about another guy. Not many shims now days under the needle jet, but there are plenty under jet needles. Try to clarify exactly what you need help with. I'll try to help. I wrenched for over 20 years and its hard enough to find a guy who can clean all the parts and not lose anything. Nor less a guy who has enough experience he can build your carbs with no book.

Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.

More
17 Aug 2012 22:27 #543173 by allen6634
Replied by allen6634 on topic 1983 550 ltd m1 resto
my bad i didn't mean to make my post sound like i was trying to put some one down ,i ment that he took all my jet needles out lost the shims and after doing that he put the jet needles in wrong, i hired him because i only have use of one hand so i didn't have to try and take the carbs appart, i guess i am bitter because the guy just told me my jets where to big and would not fix the problem he created ,i was riding my bike untill he worked on my bike the only reason i hired him was he said he had the tools to put the carbs in sync , iam still trying to understand why he bothered taking the carbs off the bike in the first place,i rode my bike to his shop and i had to hire it trucked home, im not one to wine about petty things but it has taken me 2 years to get my bike close to where it will move under it's own power, i made my living as a auto mechanic and that typ of work would have cost me my job, i am not familiar with the correct name of the parts in or on the carborators . like i said i would rebuilding automatic transmission's i never lost parts . and i feel thart if a person takes a job doing som thing then said person sould at lest notpass the blame off on the owner , or take some responsibility for his/ her work , i know the a/f screws on the top of my carbs will allow me to make adjustments just like i know that i can add or remove shims to raise /lower the needle on my carbs and i know that raising and lowering of the needel can cause a rich /lean condition , i feel that i am wasting my time on here .

1983 kz 550 m

More
18 Aug 2012 19:24 #543314 by OldSchoolZ
If I remember correctly, those cards are made by TK and are 26mm carbs, they came on 1983 KZ550F & M models and have a 26-27mm float height, not to be confused with float fuel level. The level is taken by connecting a clear hose to your float bown drain screw hole and taking note how high the actual visible level is. Visible level is about 2-5mm below float bowl surface Im recalling. The low speed screws at about 2 turns out, stock air filter. Carb synch will help also. Fresh spark plugs. Carbs are very sensitive and small adjustments make big differences. Little things as surface rust in tanks can cause havoc and leaks regularly due to rust getting under the float valves. The factory manual should help you get all your original settings back where they should be. Its far easier to correct a stock bikes running issues compared to one which has been heavily modifies.

More
19 Aug 2012 22:09 #543499 by allen6634
Replied by allen6634 on topic 1983 550 ltd m1 resto
thank you i have been trying for two years to get my bike some where close to what it was, the stock un modified air box with new air filter , plugs , coils , and wires , o yea i also have put all the rubber conectors on each end of the carbs for fear of a vac leak , i have a clymer manual it does not go in to details on the carbs ,i was kinda thinking that was the reson i asked you guys ,i was thinking that i could explain why i was trying to get to some form of a starting point, i thought fourms like this is a good place to ask s question like i did .thank you for the reply

1983 kz 550 m

More
19 Aug 2012 23:04 #543510 by OldSchoolZ
No prob Allen. When you get time, stop by a Kawasaki dealer or call and ask them exactly what number jets are used that year for pilot jet and main jet. Theres a chance your jets may have been changed as well.