440 Keihin Carb Alternative?

More
10 Aug 2012 22:57 #541867 by Austin440
440 Keihin Carb Alternative? was created by Austin440
I recently bought a 1981 440 LTD and it runs okay, but I think it's running too rich. It bogs down after a few miles of running at highway speeds, and it stalls at idle unless I crank up the stop screw way above the normal position. Not to mentino that I got 36-38 mpg on an all-highway commute; using a bit too much gas.

I was planning on getting it tuned - or attempting to tune it myself - but I have heard many bad things about the stock carburetors that they ran on these bikes. It was recommended to me that I replace my Keihin 1391 SJ29 with a Mikuni carburetor, but I'm not sure where to start in finding a Mikuni that would be compatible with the engine.

I assume the "29" in "SJ29" means 29mm bore? Do I look for a CV or a VM carb? If you think it sould be worth it to stick with the stock Keihin and try to tune it up, let me know. Otherwise, any advice pertaining to this topic would be appreciated.

Austin

1981 KZ440 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2012 23:09 #541869 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 440 Keihin Carb Alternative?

Austin440 wrote: I recently bought a 1981 440 LTD and it runs okay, but I think it's running too rich. It bogs down after a few miles of running at highway speeds, and it stalls at idle unless I crank up the stop screw way above the normal position. Not to mentino that I got 36-38 mpg on an all-highway commute; using a bit too much gas.

I was planning on getting it tuned - or attempting to tune it myself - but I have heard many bad things about the stock carburetors that they ran on these bikes. It was recommended to me that I replace my Keihin 1391 SJ29 with a Mikuni carburetor, but I'm not sure where to start in finding a Mikuni that would be compatible with the engine.

I assume the "29" in "SJ29" means 29mm bore? Do I look for a CV or a VM carb? If you think it sould be worth it to stick with the stock Keihin and try to tune it up, let me know. Otherwise, any advice pertaining to this topic would be appreciated.

Austin

Hello, Austin, and WELCOME to KZrider! :cheer:

Still using the stock airbox, or has the airbox been replaced by fitting an individual aftermarket pod filter on each carb?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.