Mileage question

More
09 Aug 2012 19:09 #541595 by KZCool
Mileage question was created by KZCool
I have a 76 kz750 and have been getting about 36 miles per gallon for sometime. I was wondering if that is normal or if I need to fix something. I have a standard style K&N air filter, rejetted carbs, and my exhaust is cut off at the kickstart with a washer welded to a bolt head for backpressure. I'll be getting a full exhaust sometime in the future, but Dont expec it to improve anything. Any thoughts? maybe bad rings? I do get some smoke when I rev it.

1976 KZ750 hardtail

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2012 19:24 - 09 Aug 2012 19:27 #541599 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Mileage question

KZCool wrote: I have a 76 kz750 and have been getting about 36 miles per gallon for sometime. I was wondering if that is normal or if I need to fix something. I have a standard style K&N air filter, rejetted carbs, and my exhaust is cut off at the kickstart with a washer welded to a bolt head for backpressure. I'll be getting a full exhaust sometime in the future, but Dont expec it to improve anything. Any thoughts? maybe bad rings? I do get some smoke when I rev it.

I have a 79 KZ750 twin with a recently rebuilt engine, stock air filter and MAC pipe with stock header. I get about 36 - 38 city only mileage. When it was brand new completely stock it was maybe 40. Highway mileage used to be maybe 50 - 55 mpg at speeds under 65.

For yours I don't think 36 mostly city mileage is unreasonable since you probably had to install huge jets because of the straight pipe. If it's 36 highway that's a bit low, but it depends on how fast you go. I used to get close to 60 mpg @ 60 mph, but when I ran 75 mph it dropped to about 46 mpg. Wind drag really eats up the gas.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 09 Aug 2012 19:27 by bountyhunter.

More
10 Aug 2012 22:16 #541860 by KZCool
Replied by KZCool on topic Mileage question
Its stays around 36 for town/hiway and srictly hiway. Good to know its no too far off though.

1976 KZ750 hardtail