NO GAS?

More
08 Aug 2012 21:28 #541460 by Salder69
NO GAS? was created by Salder69
1983 KZ750 LTD

I bought it for 300 bucks

I haven't had shit to do lately and I am single so I have a lot of time to do what I want.

I've put a lot of work into this bike, some of you may have even seen some other posts I made here, and other forums.

The other day, after having an issue with it creating a spark, it started, ran and sounded great.

So I went out the next day to check on it, and, it DIDN'T START!

OMG. IT was/is so irritating.

One of the first things I did was clean the carbs, and, though I am no expert and have only disassembled and cleaned carbs a handful of times, everything looked OK to me. Floats in working condition, same as needle.

Now, I'm getting really tired of messing with this part of it...I know know it runs, but what is going on?

Now, one bit of info here that is important, when I got it started the other day, this was the first time I was letting fuel into the carbs since I had cleaned them. SO pretty much, after I got it started and let it sit for a day, no starting...

It is getting spark, I've checked many times now.

I'm guessing it is either flooded, or something is malfunctioning in the carbs, But I really don't know.

ANOTHER IMPORTANT NOTE: The choke is missing on the handle bar, so I'm not sure what positions mean what on the choke (directly on the carbs).

I'm pretty sure all the way out is full choke, but I've tried all three positions and nothing still.

I will continue to work on the bike, partly because I'm as stubborn of an ass as they come, partly projects like this i find very fulfilling, partly because it keeps me out of trouble, also, I'm pretty confident I can figure this out and get the bike to run great, but I could use some tips.

I'm really running out of patience here. Fast,

Please help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
08 Aug 2012 23:09 #541486 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic NO GAS?
All the way out, is choke, in off. So when trying to start, full choke and no throttle. Probably needs the carbs cleaned really thoroughly. Low speed and Starter jet, but it could be vacuum leaks. Do you set the Petcock to Prime first?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
09 Aug 2012 04:21 #541521 by Salder69
Replied by Salder69 on topic NO GAS?

Motor Head wrote: All the way out, is choke, in off. So when trying to start, full choke and no throttle. Probably needs the carbs cleaned really thoroughly. Low speed and Starter jet, but it could be vacuum leaks. Do you set the Petcock to Prime first?

I cleaned the carbs like an OCD dude on meth. I cleaned those things spotless. One of thew first things I did was disassemble, clean, clean some more, check how clean they were, and clean some more.

They, along with the rest of the bike, were covered in a mixture of dirt buildup and general gunk. I used a whole can of carb cleaner on those babies, hitting every port along the way.

I was able to salvage the gaskets with a leftover gasket for my old nissan altima and some plumbers GOOP and the needle and that other rubber thing (like a rubber diaphragm)all checked out level (this bike is a twin) and okay I am pretty darn sure I got all the jets too.

The petcock is f***ed. I can't find a new one, can't find an old one.

I went to this place called A&A cycles here in OKC and I couldn't find a used one.

Maybe you are right and I need to clean the carbs some more. I mean, I know they were working the other day, and I know the needle/float are okay because they don't leak, but damn, if that's what you think it is, hell, I'll give it a go. The last parts (for now) should be in Friday. I just got done painting and doing more touch up work.

They are just such a pain in the ass to remove from the bike. I mean really hard.

The cleaning is the easy part. It's like stupid easy.

I'll give it a shot, but more than anything, the clue about choke positions may make all the difference.

I thought there may be TOO much gas in the cylinders so today I took the plugs out and cranked it with the kickstart a few times, and i could definitely smell gas...

I'll take em out and clean em again.

Thanks for the reply

More
09 Aug 2012 09:24 #541529 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic NO GAS?
Is an aftermarket in-line fuel filter fitted? If dual fuel hoses, each requires its own separate in-line filter.

Many as-new carbs have been contaminated by the first inflow of gasoline.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: peter1958

More
09 Aug 2012 19:13 - 09 Aug 2012 19:25 #541597 by Salder69
Replied by Salder69 on topic NO GAS?

Patton wrote: Is an aftermarket in-line fuel filter fitted? If dual fuel hoses, each requires its own separate in-line filter.

Many as-new carbs have been contaminated by the first inflow of gasoline.

Good Fortune! :)

its a single fuel line that splits to both carbs (its a twin). And I have two filters on it. From Tank to carb I have a reusable filter (you know the ones with a glass body) and a disposable one (plastic body, paper filter)

Thanks for the reply.

If it wasn't so damn difficult to get the carbs on/off the bike (mostly mucking with the hoses that go to the breather box) I'd have already done it.

it seriously took me an hour and about 100 curse words to get them on last time.

The tubes that run from the breather box to the carbs aren't stock, they are just some rubber hose and they are too small, so I have to muscle them on, which is incredibly difficult.

Unfortunately, I could not find anyone who had those parts in stock, and I searched everywhere I could to find a suitable replacement (as far as basic hose goes)

I gave up and just cleaned, and made better the hose that was on there, after a $40 radiator hose I bought didn't fit (of course I returned it)

Thanks for the replies.

Also, working with the carbs means I'll have to, more than likely, get gas all over myself.

And after working with the paint stripper last night (I didn't read the warning label, and apparently it shouldn't make contact with skin) I really want to stay away from volatile substances for a while...

Thanks again for the replies.
Last edit: 09 Aug 2012 19:25 by Salder69.