POPPING AND SPITING

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
31 Jul 2012 22:38 #539866 by 4TheKZ1000
POPPING AND SPITING was created by 4TheKZ1000
MY BIKE IS MAKING SOME SOUNDS....AND IT AINT A PURRR.

IF I PUT MY EAR DOWN BY THE POD, I CAN HEAR A POP AND SPIT SOUND EVERY NOW AND THEN. I ALSO AM SMELLING ABIT OF FUEL?

THE CARBS ARE NEW RS34'S

THANKS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2012 00:29 #539911 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic POPPING AND SPITING
Whichever cylinder is spitting back through the carb might result from failure of the intake valve to completely seal. Which allows part of the combustion to escape through the intake port.

Sometimes a valve's failure to completely seal is caused by insufficient valve clearance. And may be especially noticeable when the engine has reached normal operating temperature.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
01 Aug 2012 15:53 #540022 by OldSchoolZ
Replied by OldSchoolZ on topic POPPING AND SPITING
Yes what Patton said :laugh: but I would run a compression test and if low, pull valve cover and check valve clearances. I've heard bikes spit because they were too lean somewhere as well. Smooth bores hang at certain rpms where you are lean. Heck spray your intake boots also and check for leaks. Many things can cause spitting.

Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.

More
01 Aug 2012 16:35 #540037 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic POPPING AND SPITING
Check ignition timing and timing advancer assembly.

And yes, they do pop and spit if they are lean. First thing I thought of when I saw the word PODS.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
01 Aug 2012 17:42 #540049 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic POPPING AND SPITING
what jets r u running? how many cc's?
the pilot screws on the RS carbs r only to be adjusted out to 1/2 turn max from there seats. be gentle when seating them, the tips break off easy.

try opening the pilots 1/8th turn at a time and see if the spitting stops. to set them properly, u turn them in or out until u achieve the highest rpm. then readjust the rpm with the slide height adjuster (idle adjuster).

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4TheKZ1000