Running rich.

• guinnesshead
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Jul 2012 15:01 #539764 by guinnesshead
Running rich. was created by guinnesshead
Hi everyone. Just joined cos i just bought an 81 kz1000 ltd. Got bike cheep cos it starts but stops after a couple of minutes. Got me spanners out to see if i could get it running nice. First thing is plugs wet with fuel but when i took the air filter out the box was was swimming with go juice!! How the hell can that happen? Any ideas before i go any further. Thanks in advance for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2012 15:10 #539767 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic Running rich.
sounds like floats are getting stuck and not shutting off fuel flow to the carbs. That'll need to be fixed for sure. you should also check the oil for gas contamination if they're letting that much fuel out. could pool up in the cylinder and then drain into the oil. I don't know the specific float system on those bikes, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly with more details.

My best guess though is you'll need to take the carbs apart and clean them well, and maybe replace some floats.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

• kawasaki mike
  • User
  • kawasaki mike
More
02 Aug 2012 23:30 #540386 by kawasaki mike
Replied by kawasaki mike on topic Running rich.
I think you are way rich either due to sticking floats, needle seats not stoping fuel orfloat level is rediculousely high.Go completely through them by the numbers.

Am addicted to Z1's and kz 900's have an el camino, fly rc helicoptors and am strung out on horsepower.

• guinnesshead
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Aug 2012 00:21 #540405 by guinnesshead
Replied by guinnesshead on topic Running rich.
Thanks for the advice guys. Check it out this weekend and let you know what I find.

• guinnesshead
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Aug 2012 19:04 #541059 by guinnesshead
Replied by guinnesshead on topic Running rich.
Checked the float hights & they were not to bad. So stripped the carbs. Couldn't see much wrong until i put the float valve under a magnifying lenses then I could see the ridge around the point. Gas must have been leeking past but only after I set off on a run. New ones in the post so hopefully this will cure it. Thanks for the quick response guys.