Keihin Carbs

More
28 Jul 2012 22:07 #539270 by oldcatawba
Keihin Carbs was created by oldcatawba
First a little background, I recently purchased a 1982 KZ1000 LTD from the original owner with 3300 miles on it.The bike has of course sat for long periods. When I bought it cylinder one was not firing, broken plug wire, air filter housing a rat nest, etc. The owner said the original carbs could not be rebuilt so he took it to a local shop and they installed a set of Keihin 1000-05R-AB carbs. I have upgraded the ignition to Dynatek green coils, Dynatek wires, I also installed a Vance and Hines 4 into 1 pipe and have a stock air filter although I have a K&N on order. I have ran a compression test and all cylinders are very close and are around 150. I put fresh plugs in and they are not white but clean enough to make me believe that I am running lean.The bike starts on the first touch of the starter, idles clean and pulls strong to almost 5000 RPM and then just noses over, will not run over 75 to 80 MPH. I received two sets of jets with the Keihins but don't know yet what they currently have in them. So two questions, should I invest in trying to repair the originals or stay with the Keihins? Secondly would there be any advantage to changing the ignition system over to Dynatek? As I mentioned I already have the coils and wires but am wondering if using the Dyna S set up would give a noticeable difference in performance. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Whadda ya got in that thing son?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2012 00:24 #539287 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Keihin Carbs
Would assure that the timing advancer is properly functioning, and isn't stuck in the retarded idle position.

The advancer may require lube or both clean and lube.

It's not supposed to look like this:

Here are the pivots that require lube.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
29 Jul 2012 00:29 #539290 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Keihin Carbs
If its been siting for a long time, I would check the ignition advancer for correct function. Those carbs I'm not familiar with by those numbers, but do you know what they were off of? That might help some. Make sure your Ignition is in good shape, timing correct, spark quality, voltage at the coils etc. You can put new wires on those Old coils, or you can get new coils and wires. I would Much rather the OEM Kawasaki Ignition in good condition, over the Dyna S.
Also those carbs, you should check the Fuel Level in the bowls, with a clear piece of tubing hooked up to the drain, and run up along the carb body as a sight gauge. This and the ignition needs to be correct before attempting to re-jet.

Have a look at the Factory Service Manual in my signature, it will help you out a lot.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
29 Jul 2012 11:58 #539373 by oldcatawba
Replied by oldcatawba on topic Keihin Carbs
Thanks again for the responses, the Keihens were new as I have box they came in. The carbs have a decal on them stating they are race only? I pulled the timing cover and the plate,everything behind it was clean, nothing rusted or stuck that I can see. I sprayed a little WD40 in and wiped everything down but the springs have tension and the weights move back and forth to the advance stops with no apparent binding or sticking. I just installed a new air filter and the bike seems to be laboring even more which is kind of backwards as I thought if I had a lean condition the additional restriction of the filter would fatten it up.

Whadda ya got in that thing son?

• kawasaki mike
  • User
  • kawasaki mike
More
02 Aug 2012 23:38 #540389 by kawasaki mike
Replied by kawasaki mike on topic Keihin Carbs
I am partial to 29mm smoothbores but mikuni rs 34mm carbes are excelent and easy to tune. The flat slides radle a bit and if you run pods it will sound like wrist pins slaping. Not to wory. I hate cr carbs from kehin. They are really a race only carb in my opinion.

Am addicted to Z1's and kz 900's have an el camino, fly rc helicoptors and am strung out on horsepower.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
03 Aug 2012 00:10 #540400 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Keihin Carbs
check out omrs write ups on cr specials,he seems to have good luck with them B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.