78 kz650 bogs low range throttle

More
18 Jul 2012 22:22 #536900 by Iheartkz
78 kz650 bogs low range throttle was created by Iheartkz
Hey guys. Been reading all the threads for a few months now, and decided to start my own since I cant seem to get an answer to my question.
My KZ will start with the choke pulled out half way, any more than that and it dies. It will also only stay running at half choke for a short time before it begins to sputter and die. Once I get it to idle and try to blip the throttle fast it sucks a bunch of air and bogs and sputters. When I try to start moving on it from a stop it wants to bog and die. If I rev it slowly it responds ok. Plugs smell a little bit like gas, and are a little sooty.
I verified the timing is correct. 4>1 exhaust with pods. 112.5 main jets. needle clip in the 3rd position(tried 4th but no change). No vacuum leaks. grrrrr.

1978 kz650 B pods kerker 4>1

1979 kz650 B3 pods kerker 4>1 accel pump

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
18 Jul 2012 23:31 #536926 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic 78 kz650 bogs low range throttle
Check your ignition, voltage to the coils, spark quality, and the ignition timing a well as the advancer for correct function.
Then if needed return to the fuel system.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
19 Jul 2012 10:41 #537038 by Iheartkz
Replied by Iheartkz on topic 78 kz650 bogs low range throttle
Think you are right about the weak spark. The plug wires are all nasty,. Going to check it today. Advancer moves nicely, and the ignition timing is correct.

• kawasaki mike
  • User
  • kawasaki mike
More
24 Jul 2012 13:58 #538213 by kawasaki mike
Replied by kawasaki mike on topic 78 kz650 bogs low range throttle
If you still are running an air box, pull out the filter and see what affect it has on the bike. I am guessing here but you have two symptoms showing up. Lean and rich. Plugs dont lie but can be sooty for various reasons. Weak spark,oil fouling, too big of jets. But if it wont run untill choke is half on, there is a definate contradiction there..Hard to figure out without being there. Sorry.

Am addicted to Z1's and kz 900's have an el camino, fly rc helicoptors and am strung out on horsepower.

More
04 Aug 2012 16:12 #540713 by Iheartkz
Replied by Iheartkz on topic 78 kz650 bogs low range throttle
Ok, well I just replaced the coils, and it is running pretty well. I pull the choke about half way to start it, and it only wants to run with the choke out for a few seconds until it starts to die. I push the choke down and it runs fine once its warm. Just rode it down the hwy, and it screams. Used a colortune, and all the combustion chambers are blue. Soooo my only prob now seems to be that I cant keep the choke open to get it warm. Any suggestions? Choke not working properly? Maybe the choke plungers on the carbs?