Motion pro carb synch calibration, which carb?

More
15 Jul 2012 18:07 #536133 by jess
Ok so I have an 83 Kawasaki GPZ 1100 with 34mm Mikuni cv carbs. I bought the new
motion pro carb synch tool. The one without mercury. Before you synch the carbs you
must calibrate the synch tool.

The instructions say to synch the tool with the main carb first. Among the four carbs, which
is the main carb?

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2012 18:26 #536142 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Motion pro carb synch calibration, which carb?
It doesn't matter what carb you use. All you are doing is tying all 4 vacuum tubes together then using a vacuum to see if all 4 raise the same level. Don't bother though, that tool does not work. Sad but true.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
15 Jul 2012 19:17 #536151 by jess
The instructions say the tool must be calibrated first to the main carb,otherwise you will get poor results.
Care to elaborate.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
15 Jul 2012 19:23 #536155 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Motion pro carb synch calibration, which carb?
Probably #3 in your rack. Look at the linkage, see where the others each adjust with a screw and lock nut. The one that is on the main pull with the cable, thats what they mean. Sync the others to it.
Personally I like how this responds to really small adjustments.
www.kzrider.com/filebase/doc_download/215-simplevacsynctool

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
15 Jul 2012 20:29 #536175 by jess
Ok, thank you motor head.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
15 Jul 2012 21:15 #536186 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Motion pro carb synch calibration, which carb?
This is from my 82 with BS34 CV Mikunis, but might be the same for yours.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Attachments:

More
16 Jul 2012 00:08 #536240 by DiamondSkyBlue1000
Replied by DiamondSkyBlue1000 on topic Motion pro carb synch calibration, which carb?
Old Hondas use a "main" carb. It is the one that has no adjustment and serves as the baseline for synching the other carbs to it. Kawasakis don't have that. All four carbs can be adjusted and you synch them in pairs and then synch the pairs to each other.
So, pick one and call it your main one. I usually hook up my carb synchronizer to all four carbs as though I'm going to do the synching, pick the one with the best signal, stop the engine, plug the other 3 ports back up and then perform the cal using that carb that had the best signal.

More
16 Jul 2012 11:38 #536299 by RonKZ650
The tool doesn't work. You'll find no matter what you do there are multiple air bubbles in all 4 tubes. This really fouls up any chance at accuracy. The manual says to shake the tool to dislodge the bubbles. Yea right, just like when I bleed the brakes all I need to do is shake the bike from side to side. :sick: First problem though are the restrictors, you'll find one or two will not flow any air, so you'll have one or two dead tubes, so dig the restrictors out and try blowing with compressed air to open the hair diameter passages. After this you get all 4 tubes working but with bubbles. Now if you trust the guage sync your carbs and do it quick as possible because the restrictors will clog again right away. Now throw the tool away as all the liquid will evaporate whithin 30 days. This tool is a one shot deal, so all this aggravation and $100 to do one sync. One expensive way to sync carbs.

More
16 Jul 2012 13:13 #536324 by jess
RonK650

I have found a lot of comments on the web last night about how poor this tool is. After taxes I paid $116 for
it. I still have my mercury tool but no mercury. The next and last tool I buy will be the carbtune. For now, I need
to get my bike running and through emissions so I will hopefully get one use out of it and write a letter to motion
pro. There is nothing more frustrating than spending good money on a tool that does not work. Motion pro has
some good tools out there but they certainly could hurt their reputation with this one.

More
16 Jul 2012 13:41 #536333 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic Motion pro carb synch calibration, which carb?
Very happy with mine.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

More
17 Jul 2012 00:47 #536474 by RonKZ650
I'm glad somebody is happy. I bought my "tool", ha, ha, I call it a tool, and had all the problems, which was a real disappointment because before that I was using carb stix I bought back in 1978 and they were fine tool. I bought the first bad set and called or emailed motion pro, I forget, but they were decent and agreed to send me a new set. I get the new set and it must have been built by the same Chinese team, because it worked the same way. I was trying to sync carbs on an old goldwing so I could get rid of it. The stix finally worked good enough and the wing was gone, then since you can't let this delicate tool freeze I keep it in the house, then 6 months later go to try to use it on the KZ and find all the fluid has evaporated. They worked hard to find a fluid that evaporates 10x faster than common water, but they did it. I had enough of that tool. I'm grumpy and been around a long time and express my grumpy quite often, but will say in all my life this is the single biggest piece of utter crap ever offered as a tool for a job. I go to Harbor Freight and kind of laugh at some of their chinese toolsl guys buy, but they at least work and the price is low. This Motion Pro tool for $100 or more is full price and junk! You can buy the Morgan for the same price and it works perfect.

More
17 Jul 2012 01:30 #536478 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic Motion pro carb synch calibration, which carb?
Sorry Ron, I should have noted in the my post: I purchased the Morgan Carbtune not the Motion Pro. I researched both tools and decided that the Carbtune was cheaper, does not (should not) need calibration and had good reviews. My video clip has my Carbtune in it. Considering your experience with the Motion Pro, I'm glad I made the choice that I did and went with the Carbtune.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450