My custom fix for missing Choke Flaps on TK-22

More
12 Jul 2012 20:04 #535498 by Bunty27
When I removed the carbs for tuning and clean-up's (my very first time) from my KZ550-C3 project, I realized that I had 3 missing choke flaps and only 1 good one. Luckily for me, I had come across Lou's (and others) messages here about this issue. After dismissing the epoxy fix, I decided to make some of my own using the metal from top's of a food tin can and a cutting tool. :-) I've shared the fruits of my labor. Please let me know if my design will work. I went with the design using just one hinge to the side so the spring can center on the flap (read from on the forum somewhere).

1982 KZ550 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2012 20:07 #535499 by Bunty27
One more try to add the pics:

Attachment pic1.jpg not found

Attachment pic2.jpg not found

Attachment pic3.jpg not found

1982 KZ550 LTD
Attachments:

More
12 Jul 2012 20:08 #535500 by Bunty27
One of my primary concern is that I only have the metal rolled on the pin manually. It is not soldered or stuck to anything. I'm hoping that the loaded spring will keep it intact but not really sure how it's going to do though it looks like it's holding on fairly well.

1982 KZ550 LTD

More
12 Jul 2012 22:36 #535534 by loudhvx
Nice job. B)

When the engine is running with full choke, I think those flaps flap like crazy, but I'm not sure. I would worry about the flaps loosening up and getting sucked in. It seems about 75% to 90% of the time the flap seems to make it through the motor with no ill affects to the motor. How that can happen is beyond me. Maybe they just melt onto the piston or something? Occasionally it will get stuck in a valve and fuse there. Then it has to be cleaned off manually or the cylinder will not seal.

But anyway, the factory flaps are just rolled around the pin, but they are steel and relatively ridgid. Aluminum may loosen up.

If you have Apbling's thread on it, he made some nice ones.

More
13 Jul 2012 00:18 #535559 by Bunty27
Thanks Lou.

With the loaded spring in position, I really can't think of a way for the whole flap to loosen and escape unless of course, they break off like the original's did. I'm wondering if they open up more than 45 degrees or so; it doesn't look like it with the current loaded spring.

I'm thinking of using them for a bit and then removing them from the top of the carbs (without removing the carbs from the bika) after a few runs to see how they're doing. Now of course, that is if I ever get this thing going again. :-)

How about temperature? Could it be of any effect on the metal itself?

1982 KZ550 LTD

More
13 Jul 2012 09:42 #535620 by loudhvx
That sounds like a good plan.

I don't think temperature will be much of a factor since it will always be relatively cool air going through the choke.

More
13 Jul 2012 11:17 #535642 by Bunty27
Thanks much Lou! I'll keep you updated. :)

1982 KZ550 LTD

More
13 Jul 2012 11:47 #535647 by damarble
Replied by damarble on topic My custom fix for missing Choke Flaps on TK-22
Food cans aren't aluminum anyway.

Go green, buy a Kawasaki!

82 KZ750M CSR Build Thread

89 ZX600C Streetfighter

More
13 Jul 2012 22:47 #535757 by Bunty27
Yeah, I was guessing not since the metal seemed pretty sturdy and doesn't bend too easily. It's some kind of alloy I guess but I'm hoping it'll keep. We'll see...

1982 KZ550 LTD

More
29 Mar 2013 16:52 #579491 by lightitup
Replied by lightitup on topic My custom fix for missing Choke Flaps on TK-22
how are they holding up

81 kz 550 ltd