KZ750 (1980 Leaking Carb)

More
10 Jul 2012 12:31 - 11 Jul 2012 10:07 #535058 by lowkeyfilmz
KZ750 (1980 Leaking Carb) was created by lowkeyfilmz
I have read all the other posts on here about leaking carbs etc.. so I figured I would repost.

Originally I broke the brass flow tube in the bowl and the bowl leaked. (Go figure) so I ordered another one. :cheer:

I installed it and the same problem happened the nipple on the bottom of carb 2 is still leaking?

I am not an expert (On names of parts) and can turn a wrench just enough to get myself home if I am lucky! :evil:

There is a small brass hollow bolt that screws directly in the middle > that is tight.
There is a small red plug that used to fall out so I heated it up smashed it a bit and made sure it was round and a tight fit and put it back. (I did this on all of them and only 1 now has problem)

With the carb bowl off and gas flowing the needle does not let gas flow with needle up, you drop the float bowl and bingo.

I have cleaned and checked all needles, floats (No gas in them) hieght of needle when empty full, drain needle on bottom diaphram on top. All of these items check out and the carb is spotless?

My next step is to swap the needle and float from a known working carb to determine if that is the problem?

(UPDATE) 7/11 I swapped the float valve and needle assembly with a known working assembly and it still leaks. I checked the bowl for cracks and it holds gas, I also swapped drain needles with known working ones and same problem?

Any ideas out there?

On a side note any one know how to put a harley springer on a KZ? (Shims, new cups etc??)
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Jul 2012 10:07 by lowkeyfilmz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2012 12:41 #535060 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic KZ750 (1980 Leaking Carb)
Sure it's leaking from the overflow?

I had the same carbs and I had a leaking bowl 0-ring/gasket and also a leaking o-ring on the fuel delivery tube's between the carbs 3&4. Took a while to find that one. It can be hard because the gas will run along a surface and where you see the drip isn't always where the leak is.

More
15 Aug 2012 13:15 #542784 by lowkeyfilmz
Replied by lowkeyfilmz on topic KZ750 (1980 Leaking Carb)
Finally got it fixed.

Hooked up hose to drain nipple and set ride hight of float bowl to let gas fill up in tube to gasket level.

Also had some hairline cracks in brass tube that was causing it to leak.