Any directions for replacing tk 22 needle jets ?

More
10 May 2012 21:36 #521343 by Gar1800
I just bought the dyno kit ( wow lots of extra parts) and I am just about ready to install the new needles for my ltd 550. I have been on the site for the tk 22 carbs which has lots of info but nothing on how to get the needles out... I started to take one of the carbs apart, took the 3 screws off the top cover removed a nut and a screw I cant figure out what the next step is to get the slides out, is there any video out there or pictures? The directions in my dyno jet pack are very grainy and hard to see. I am capable of doing this I know , I just need a lil more details.

Gar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2012 21:50 #521349 by Gar1800
This is where I'm stuck. Im thinking I have to remove the rod that runs through all the carbs to get that metal arm off and out of the way so the slide can be pulled up..?

Attachment IMG_14241.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_14251.JPG not found

Attachments:

More
18 Apr 2020 13:20 #823609 by Ted s

Gar1800 wrote: This is where I'm stuck. Im thinking I have to remove the rod that runs through all the carbs to get that metal arm off and out of the way so the slide can be pulled up..?

Attachment IMG_14241.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_14251.JPG not found

More
19 Apr 2020 12:15 #823680 by loudhvx
Not sure why that post was quoted, but if you are trying to replace needles, the throttle shaft does not need to be removed. Removing it sometimes causes unnecessary damage.

The cross-head screw holding the slide-lifting-arm needs to be removed from the throttle shaft completely. It is not a philips screw. Using a philips screwdriver will definitely damage the screw. The screw is a JIS screw and needs a JIS screwdriver to get out.

If this is the first time its removed, it will be very very tight. The back of the shaft must be supported to prevent bending and damaging the throttle shaft. Supporting the back of the carb body does no good because the shaft is not supported in the body. The shaft just floats through the body. There are rubber seals on the shaft at the body, but there are no bearings there, it just floats. You must support the actual shaft. I almost always have to use an impact driver to get them out the first time and thus they really have to be supported well against the impact. Try to use a soft metal plate, like aluminum, between the body and the shaft support.

The slide-lifting-arm is sometimes called a bell-crank.

Then after that screw is out, you can follow these procedures to get the slide holder out of the slide. Those screws are also JIS, so you should get a complete set of drivers.

s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/TK22mainPage/TK2.../TK22needleSwap.html