Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Sputtering and Stalling 23 Jul 2006 10:16 #64052

• NickD
  • NickD's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
After much waiting to get the time and the help to get things together, the Dyna S is now installed (both on my 550 and my friend's 900) and it helped things greatly. He's going to tune a little more and mess with the carbs when he has some time, but things are already 100% better.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge and your time, guys, it is much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sputtering and Stalling 15 Aug 2006 09:56 #69629

• NickD
  • User
I hope I don't get completely ignored tacking this on the end of my thread, but it seems similar problems still linger and I didn't want to start a completely new thread about it all.

As the bike sits now, with new pods, wide open exhaust (4 into 1 header with no baffles, my apt. complex must love me), and the Dyna S, I'm still having a little stuttering. It's not so much hesitation as it's just the sound that seems to be breaking up alot. I get alot of popping on decel. I have to ride for a good 10 minutes playing with the choke to get things to smooth out and be able to shut off the choke.

I think I noticed (if it wasn't mental) that if I hit bumps it sometimes causes mild surges, akin to slight variations in throttle. This lead me to suspect the carb boots, but I've sprayed them with WD40 and had no changes. Can you do this test at idle, or does it have to be at a certain RPM?

Also, could there be a need to rejet and/or adjust the timing that might be causing this?

At least now she's road worthy and runs like a demon, but I definitely want 100%.

Sputtering and Stalling 15 Aug 2006 12:37 #69668

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
What do your plugs look like? Do you know what jets are in your carbs now?

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2006/08/15 16:15
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Sputtering and Stalling 18 Aug 2006 06:02 #70560

• NickD
  • User
The plugs were okay at last check, but I haven't had a chance to do a nice long ride and check them recently. I have no idea what jets are in there now, but I'm starting to think I need to go up a size or two.

Last night I took a ride and she was running okay in the city, and pitifully on the highway. At 60mph it would pop and crack unless I was barely on the throttle or completely on the throttle (wide open or close to it). About halfway to where I was going I realized that popping = lean, so I grabbed the choke and opened it all the way up. At cruising speed and mildly on the throttle it was running like a top. But with the choke on it would fall on it's face if I gave it any throttle. This would point to it being too rich (too little air) on the choke, correct?

So does it sound like I need to get some bigger jets? If so, should I shoot for jumping 2 sizes, or just one? Oh, and how do I determine what I've got now? Is it stamped in the brass on the current jets?

Thanks, gentlemen!

Post edited by: NickD, at: 2006/08/18 09:03

Sputtering and Stalling 18 Aug 2006 08:57 #70623

• OKC_Kent
  • User
At 60 you are in the middle of the rpm range, and into the needle jet settings. You can try lowering the needle clip, which raises the needle in the jet and makes the mixture richer.
Do you know how to do a plug chop? Until you do a plug chop, and you find out what jets you have, it's hard to tell what size you need.
Oklahoma City, OK

Sputtering and Stalling 18 Aug 2006 09:10 #70628

• NickD
  • User
I just did a little reading about the plug chop test, I'll try to do that this weekend. If I can get to my buddy's shop maybe I'll get to mess around with the clip and such, and I'll post up when I find something out. Hopefully it'll be all good news B).

Thanks for the help, Kent!

Sputtering and Stalling 10 Oct 2006 10:03 #83186

• NickD
  • User
I haven't taken any road trips with her yet, but the KZ seems to be running great now. The past weekend I pulled the carbs and moved the clips on the needles. For some reason the guy who'd worked on the carbs before had the needles dropped all the way down, causing my lean condition. That's what I get for assuming they were properly set, I guess. I moved the clips to the middle notch and now she's a hair rich and runs like a scalded dog. At one point on the test run I grabbed a handful of throttle while cruising in second and the front tire was skimming pavement :laugh: . Unfortunately the ride was short and ended with my buddy /ace mechanic's front tire washing out on the ramp into his garage and smashing up his bike pretty bad. His head bouncing off the floor was a little disheartening too :ohmy: .

EDIT: I just realized my posts are about 2 months apart. I can't wait to get into my new house so I'll actually have a garage and can work on my bikes whenever I want.

Post edited by: NickD, at: 2006/10/10 13:04

Sputtering and Stalling 10 Oct 2006 10:19 #83188

• OKC_Kent
  • User
Glad to hear things are working out. Hope your bud popped a couple aspirin. ;)
Oklahoma City, OK

• Page: