best sport touing/cruiser carb ?

More
11 Feb 2012 18:29 #503365 by fitscott
Replied by fitscott on topic best sport touing/cruiser carb ?
Thank you BlackZ1R, I'm running K&N pods and stock 4-2 pipes. I know I will need some better pipes to make the carb combo work. I'm most interested in low and mid range torque. My 530 chain conversion and the stock 16" rear wheel have my rpms at about 4 grand around 60 mph. I think its APE's website that has some performance tips- one being to advance your intake cam by 2 degrees to lower the torque curve.I'm trying to gather as much info as possible so I can make semi-intelligent decisions. I've been looking at the dynoman site for quite a while now. Thanks very much for the input! Scott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2012 20:00 #503372 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic best sport touing/cruiser carb ?
If you are running the vm26 carbs you may want to put the airbox back on. Someone else will no doubt chime in here, but if you're looking for better low/mid range grunt I don't think pods are the way to go with those carbs. Before spending $$$ on new carbs I would try the airbox with your current carbs to see if that gives you the performance you desire. You can always pull it back off and spend $1K for some super-duper carbs if you're not happy with the results. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
12 Feb 2012 00:52 #503422 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic best sport touing/cruiser carb ?
Ed, do you think he can make the original airbox work? This bike is a Z1 classic that originally had the throttle bodies for fuel injection. Will the aibox to carb boots transfer? I'm not sure if they are the same size.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
12 Feb 2012 01:09 #503425 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic best sport touing/cruiser carb ?

testarossa wrote: Ed, do you think he can make the original airbox work? This bike is a Z1 classic that originally had the throttle bodies for fuel injection. Will the aibox to carb boots transfer? I'm not sure if they are the same size.

Good point! I didn't realize his bike started out with fuel injection (sorry about that). I looked at Kawasaki.com and saw that the not only is the air filter unique (of course) for the KZ1000-G1 but also the frame is unique. So it probably does not have the tabs welded on for the carb type airbox. Looking at the G1 fuel injection air cleaner, it uses a unique filter element, so I don't know if it has similar air restriction values as the carb type. I guess if it was mine I would try the original G1 airbox (if I still had it) and see what it would take to make the boots work. If I could get them to connect the carbs to the airbox I'd give that a try to see how performance was affected. If that was a no-go, I would see what it would take to fit a carb type airbox into the frame. That might require welding a couple tabs on the frame. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
12 Feb 2012 10:01 #503447 by fitscott
Replied by fitscott on topic best sport touing/cruiser carb ?
Thank you 650ed, The original air box is not a viable option for me. Nothing is impossible- especially with some of the talented people on this forum but I think I'll Stick with the pods. I'm definately looking for a better set of pipes and am trying to learn more about cam degreeing. Thank you for your input as I value your opinion

• kawasaki mike
  • User
  • kawasaki mike
More
17 Aug 2012 21:54 #543167 by kawasaki mike
Replied by kawasaki mike on topic best sport touing/cruiser carb ?

Attachment craigs054.JPG not found

Attachment craigs057.JPG not found

I dont know if you have already changed the carbs but chunk the cr 29mm carbs and go with the 28mm pumpers. I have them on my kz 1000 but I have blocked off the pumpers and changed float bowls. They work very well. Never did like pumps. If you have them set right, pumpers are of little advantage and make it hard to tune the carbs.

Am addicted to Z1's and kz 900's have an el camino, fly rc helicoptors and am strung out on horsepower.
Attachments:

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
18 Aug 2012 01:07 #543211 by BlackZ1R
Replied by BlackZ1R on topic best sport touing/cruiser carb ?

kawasaki mike wrote:

Attachment craigs054.JPG not found

Attachment craigs057.JPG not found

I dont know if you have already changed the carbs but chunk the cr 29mm carbs and go with the 28mm pumpers. I have them on my kz 1000 but I have blocked off the pumpers and changed float bowls. They work very well. Never did like pumps. If you have them set right, pumpers are of little advantage and make it hard to tune the carbs.

Nice looking bike Mike. I'm not a big fan of the pumps either. Did you leave the pumper tubes in the carb bodies when you did your work?
What pipe is that? Looks like a combination of two or more pipes.

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .

• kawasaki mike
  • User
  • kawasaki mike
More
03 Sep 2012 00:20 #546305 by kawasaki mike
Replied by kawasaki mike on topic best sport touing/cruiser carb ?
Sorry about the late response. Yes I left the tubes in and filled the bowl cross-over orfices, then put standard bowls on. Lobve them. They work almost as good as the mikuni 29 smoothies. (almost)The pipe is a Marving chrome 4 into 1 race pipe. I dearly love this pipe. Sounds great and performes great and I can even turn right. I do not ever run a baffle. If the others on the road cant hear you they wont look for you. The louder, the better. Bright colors help save lives too.

Am addicted to Z1's and kz 900's have an el camino, fly rc helicoptors and am strung out on horsepower.