• Page:

TOPIC:

idle problem 21 May 2006 22:50 #49024

• MBFMGP
  • MBFMGP's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
hello all,
i think i asked this question before and tried a few of the things people suggestedd(thanks).
anyway the problem is this. after my bike is run for a while (15 miles or so) while it seems to have good power and runs the idle goes way up to around 2500 rpms.
if i snap the throttle open and let it spring back into the linkage it goes down but returns to a high idle as soon as i open the throttle even a small amount. if i blip it again it will go down. one issue is that even at it's lower point hte idle is still around 1500 and noticeably high . its important to note that the idle screw is not making contact with the linkage and someone here told me this was because my carbs needed to be bench synced to allow for the idle adjustment. that however doesn't explain why the idle increases so much and then goes back to normal (for this bike).
i tried spraying wd40 on the boots and manifold and the idle did not go up in fact it seemed to go down after spraying several times tried the same thing with carb cleaner and had the same result.
i don't think it's the cables as i cleaned and adjusted them and they bring the linkage back pretty crisply.
anyway thans in advance.

fred

thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

idle problem 22 May 2006 05:58 #49064

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
You need to bench sync your carburetors, carefully following the steps in the Kaw factory service manual. You also need to adjust your throttle cables in all liklihood. I believe that will fix your bike's idle issues.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

idle problem 23 May 2006 06:41 #49383

• MBFMGP
  • MBFMGP's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
thanks again......... i'm going to try that this weekend.

saw a post in the archives about using ball bearings and was thinking of trying that.

i'll let you know how it went

idle problem 23 May 2006 07:04 #49389

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I suggested using the exact method suggested in your factory service manual and didn't suggest ball bearings. That type of bench sync is probably what is causing your problems now. Good luck.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: