Carburetor set-up...Does this look right?

More
25 Nov 2011 22:37 #490143 by mike_eubank
Carburetor set-up...Does this look right? was created by mike_eubank
I had a closer look at my bikes carbs and this is the set-up i found. Does this look right?

The vaccuum inlets are set up as such:
Carbs 1 and 4 are tied to each otherin a wish-bone set-up and run under the fuel tank. (Not sure to what)
Carb 2 is tied to the petcock to operate the diaphram in the fuel valve.

Carb 3 was open, which was of my slow idle and strange poppin,. I jury-rigged a cap using a piece of fuel line and slightly bigger cap.

My bike is stalling after a few minutes at highway speed. Capping the no 3 inlet helped, but it didnt solve the problem.

Im not an expert mechanic by any means; much less on motorcycles, but I can only think of two solutions:

1: The fuel diapraghm in the petcock needs BOTH carbs 2 and 3 to operate fully
2: The in-line filter in the main fuel line is visbily kinked (not by me) and is restricting fuel flow.

If at first you dont succeed, skydiving is NOT for you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2011 22:49 #490144 by cfaherty
Replied by cfaherty on topic Carburetor set-up...Does this look right?
That's the hookups which my manual shows.

You can rule out the petcock diaphragm by running in PRIME position and seeing if the problem goes away. PRIME is always flowing, whereas ON requires the vacuum.

1983 KZ750 F1 LTD Shaft

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
25 Nov 2011 22:53 #490146 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Carburetor set-up...Does this look right?
That's how it set up from new. Make sure that the line from 1-4 going under the Tank is connected and not leaking. It goes to the Fresh Air Vacuum Valve. You can Plug off those Carb nipples as well if you like. Just make sure it's not leaking, as then you will have two carbs with a vacuum leak. Make sure your fuel line has no kinks, and the in-line filter is not restricting flow. You can test that by putting the fuel line into a suitable container, with the filter then without, and turn the petcock to Prime. Keep track of the flow rate, time it. If its restricted, get a filter for a gravity fuel system.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
25 Nov 2011 22:53 #490147 by mike_eubank
Replied by mike_eubank on topic Carburetor set-up...Does this look right?
i tried running on PRI after each test ride. It runs a little better; enough to limp home, but doesnt solve the problem.

• Motor Head
  • User
More
25 Nov 2011 23:00 #490148 by Motor Head
Check the flow rate, into a container like I said, maybe open the fuel tank cap, in case the vent is blocked. Then there are usually also Screens not just at the Petcock, but in the Carbs, where the Float Needle and Seat are Feed with fuel. They can be blocked. Check the flow from the Tank through your set up. Then move on from there.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

More
25 Nov 2011 23:12 #490151 by mike_eubank
Replied by mike_eubank on topic Carburetor set-up...Does this look right?
@ Motor Head

Ill try that. The fuel filter is kinked on one end (why, i dont know), so Ill check the flow rate like you said.

Thanks

• Motor Head
  • User
More
25 Nov 2011 23:19 #490152 by Motor Head
If that line is Kinked replace it. If the fuel filter is the straight type, you want to get a 90 degree one. This will straighten the flow out, as long as it's a Gravity filter. I believe 1/4" is Stock for the Dia, but I use 5/16" through my fuel lines/ filter. It requires some decent clamps though.

More
25 Nov 2011 23:27 #490154 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Carburetor set-up...Does this look right?
All carbs are not the same. What carbs are you using? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Motor Head
  • User
More
25 Nov 2011 23:49 - 25 Nov 2011 23:56 #490156 by Motor Head

650ed wrote: All carbs are not the same. What carbs are you using? Ed

1980 KZ750 H1, Doesn't look to have the Inlet Screens or replaceable Seats on the Float Needles. Keihen CV Carbs.

Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Nov 2011 23:56 by Motor Head.

More
26 Nov 2011 00:01 #490158 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Carburetor set-up...Does this look right?
Shouldn't a couple tubes go from thre carbs to the airbox? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Motor Head
  • User
More
26 Nov 2011 00:05 - 26 Nov 2011 00:15 #490160 by Motor Head

650ed wrote: Shouldn't a couple tubes go from thre carbs to the airbox? Ed

That would be the Bowl Vents. I believe your right he should have TEE fittings between two carbs up high near the rear, with those TEE's having hoses going to the Airbox. That's if it is still stock? Otherwise they would just route down, and hang near the sing arm pivot, along with the drain tubes, and battery vent.
If the bowl vent are plugged off, then fuel won't enter properly, causing starvation.
Good Catch 650ed!
Well the more I look at it I think his bowl vents are through the drain on the bottom. There would be a brass tube inside the bowl reaching above fuel level as a vent, and an overflow circuit. Here the only TEE is 23, and that is the Fuel Tube TEE.

Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Nov 2011 00:15 by Motor Head.

More
26 Nov 2011 01:18 - 26 Nov 2011 01:21 #490167 by JR
On the 1980 750/4 keihin CV34 carbs wenting is through the overflow tubes. Mine are routed down between the swingarm and the motor. I got a US airbox that had connections and holes for the overflow tubes but I sealed them. There are no bowl screens in the carbs and the seats are not replaceable - pressed in.

I used to use clear line which would harden and kink. I would get about 3 or 4 miles down the road and then splutter splutter. Patton has a good diagram explaining how to get rid of that smog tubing which we never had up here and putting vacuum caps on the 1, 3 and 4 nipples.

The carb nipples in the diagram need to ne either connected to the petcock, connected to the smog tubing which is connected to the valve cover, or capped off.

Good luck - might be worth taking the gas tank off, checking the smog tubing, checking the petocok and putting on some good fuel line with no kinks,

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 26 Nov 2011 01:21 by JR.