Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Warm engine idles faster and faster 28 Oct 2005 07:49 #4900

• fergyfer
  • fergyfer's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I don't know if this is normal, but after I warm the engine up enough to ride, the idle is rough and low, around 1100 rpms. When I go a few miles (on the road the bike runs great) 6-7 or so, and come to the first stop, it is usually idling much higher and smoother and by the time I get to work, another 5 or so miles, it is idling around 2300 rpms. Seems like I'm always playing with the idle stop screw to lower or raise it. Is this possibly just a sign of carbs not in sync or floats not adjusted right? I have not yet aquired the carb balancing equipment needed to do that...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Warm engine idles faster and faster 28 Oct 2005 17:35 #5025

• Old-Skul
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
A carb cleaning and synch might help.

But if the bike isn't stock (pod filters, or other mods) this is pretty common. Changing to a different spark plub (either colder or hotter) by one range might help as well.

These air cooled motors seem to carburate very different as they warm up. I usually set my idle so the bike idles correctly when fully warm, and then just blip my throttle at the the first few traffic lights I get stuck at on the way to work!

Warm engine idles faster and faster 30 Oct 2005 12:30 #5396

• z19OO
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Thats a big jump in idle........did you ever reseal the intake manifolds? You may be leaking air causing the different rpm's.
1975 z1 900
1979 kz650b

Warm engine idles faster and faster 30 Oct 2005 12:35 #5401

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Doug, If you look back at threads on the Teikei carbs used on your bike, they are notoriously slow warmers. Set the idle when the carbs/bike is fully warmed. When the bike is warming, operate with a partial choke or let it idle for awhile longer before riding off. If you can ever take a bit of time off, ride down this way and I will have a look at things if you like.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Warm engine idles faster and faster 31 Oct 2005 06:54 #5569

• fergyfer
  • fergyfer's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks all! I do remember reading about these carbs being slow to warm. I went ahead and turned in my idle mix screws and backed them out 1 1/8 turns like the Kaw manual said and it made a huge difference. I had previously just returned them to where they were, about 1 3/4 turns. I adjusted the choke/idle screw this morning while warming up and it really kept things smooth. I did adjust the big idle wheel after it warmed up yesterday, down to a normal idle. We'll see at lunch how it does but I think I have it pretty good now.
Thanks again!

• Page: