Fuel injection on a 1977 KZ1000?

More
28 Oct 2011 14:09 #485780 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic Fuel injection on a 1977 KZ1000?
Oh I know that Steve, I was more talking to Gary as well.

I'd definitely put in a trigger wheel, but thats just my preference. You're right of course.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gary - K7GLD
  • User
  • 1983 1100LTD
More
28 Oct 2011 15:00 - 28 Oct 2011 15:02 #485781 by Gary - K7GLD
Replied by Gary - K7GLD on topic Fuel injection on a 1977 KZ1000?

Exactly what I said is correct. I assume the OP is somewhat mechanically inclined so installation of a FI system is not tremendously difficult.

And right THERE is a major assumption that may, or may NOT be accurate, and a key element to accurately replying to an open ended questions like the OP presented here.

The OP leaves out serious key elements, such as where he lives, what he expects to pay, his skill level, and generally what he expects to put IN, and get OUT of the system he asks about. Is it EASY and POSSIBLE to install FI on a Carbureted engine - sure to SOME individuals - so is installing JET power - to SOME individuals!

Let's put the question in a more detailed way that might ALSO be "assumed" in this scenario:

I'm interested in converting my bike to FI - I live in a small mid-western rural area, have some mechanical skill, a few hand tools, not too much computer experience, and want to keep total cost under $500 - OH, and I'm 17 and still in high school...

NOW, MY "assumption" as to the above more detailed question MIGHT be just as accurate as "assuming" the guy lives in a metropolitan area where lots of services are available, is WELL SKILLED in both mechanics AND computers - has LOTS of tools, and an unlimited bank account to apply to this project.

I wasn't, and still am NOT trying to start a rhubarb - but most of the above replies here pretty well demonstrate the carb-to-FI conversion CAN be done - but "easy" or cheap - probably NOT to the rank-and-file bike owner...

And yeah, you CAN jet propel a bike - IF you have the money, skill, and are willing to apply it all to the project - but "easy", welllllllll... B)

John Day area - Eastern Oregon
Restored 1983 Kawasaki 1100LTD
Last edit: 28 Oct 2011 15:02 by Gary - K7GLD.

More
28 Oct 2011 15:17 #485782 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic Fuel injection on a 1977 KZ1000?
I think its a fair assumption that someone who owns a 1977 KZ1000 and wants to install FI is fairly mechanically inclined. But whatever. I think in the mix we've covered what is needed to do such a thing, the OP can figure out for himself now if he's up to the task. And he wouldn't need an unlimited bank account. My estimate would be around $1000 or so.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

• Gary - K7GLD
  • User
  • 1983 1100LTD
More
28 Oct 2011 15:54 - 28 Oct 2011 17:33 #485786 by Gary - K7GLD

T_Dub wrote: I think its a fair assumption that someone who owns a 1977 KZ1000 and wants to install FI is fairly mechanically inclined. But whatever. I think in the mix we've covered what is needed to do such a thing, the OP can figure out for himself now if he's up to the task. And he wouldn't need an unlimited bank account. My estimate would be around $1000 or so.

I suspect the accurate assumption falls somewhere between your extreme and mine - fair enough - and I'm sure you're correct that all angles have been pretty well covered in this thread. Your final statement was the finishing touch - the $1000 or so price tag estimate.

Personally, I fall somewhere in between estimates of age/ability/bank account - and my own driving interest in a FI setup would be significant smoothness, better power and smooth transition across the full RPM/power band, and total reliability - as compared to a carb setup.

Otherwise, why bother?

I'm 75 years old, have LOTS of tools, been highly active in a wide array of mechanics from bikes/autos, to heavy equipment - I'm very versed in electronics and industrial/business PC networking and system installation/management - and I'm retired - so have lots of time.

All that said, without evidence of substantial benefits as stated above, *I* would be very hesitant to install what MIGHT be just a hi-tech conversation piece - and for me, the price is the final deal breaking killer...

Last edit: 28 Oct 2011 17:33 by Gary - K7GLD.

More
28 Oct 2011 18:32 - 28 Oct 2011 18:35 #485817 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Fuel injection on a 1977 KZ1000?
You have me beat by a few years, I'm only 60 but drawing 100% disability, and I am doing it because it's fun and interesting. I've been involved with MegaSquirt since the very first group buy of the bare circuit board almost ten years ago. In the early days you had to be knowledgeable in electronics and mechanics, it's advanced so far it's now a virtual bolt on in simple situations. Invest the time required to read the MegaManual and you'll know more about electronic fuel injection than 98% of the mechanics out there.

Price is dependent on the individual, doing things cheaply is part of the fun for me, so $50 for GPz1100 throttle bodies, $20 for a fuel pump off a late 80's Ford F150 in a junkyard, and $10 for various sensors scavenged from the same junkyard. Less than $500 total (way less), even including $140 for a MegaSquirt 1 kit or $250 for it assembled.

While I am incapacitated I am collecting parts for my next project, a fuel injected KZ750 twin :laugh:

KD9JUR
Last edit: 28 Oct 2011 18:35 by steell.

More
28 Oct 2011 18:38 #485819 by 750steve
Replied by 750steve on topic Fuel injection on a 1977 KZ1000?

steell wrote: While I am incapacitated I am collecting parts for my next project, a fuel injected KZ750 twin :laugh:

Nice!! :lol:

07 ZX6R Race Bike
1977 Z750 B2 Twin
1976 Z650 B1

• Gary - K7GLD
  • User
  • 1983 1100LTD
More
28 Oct 2011 18:47 #485820 by Gary - K7GLD

steell wrote: You have me beat by a few years, I'm only 60 but drawing 100% disability, and I am doing it because it's fun and interesting. I've been involved with MegaSquirt since the very first group buy of the bare circuit board almost ten years ago. In the early days you had to be knowledgeable in electronics and mechanics, it's advanced so far it's now a virtual bolt on in simple situations. Invest the time required to read the MegaManual and you'll know more about electronic fuel injection than 98% of the mechanics out there.

Price is dependent on the individual, doing things cheaply is part of the fun for me, so $50 for GPz1100 throttle bodies, $20 for a fuel pump off a late 80's Ford F150 in a junkyard, and $10 for various sensors scavenged from the same junkyard. Less than $500 total (way less), even including $140 for a MegaSquirt 1 kit or $250 for it assembled.

While I am incapacitated I am collecting parts for my next project, a fuel injected KZ750 twin :laugh:

THAT sounds a lot more to my liking - as far as price goes - what can you tell us about the end result - were there worthwhile gains, or was it just a fun project to obtain a novel sort of bike?

More
28 Oct 2011 18:57 #485822 by Boostable
Replied by Boostable on topic Fuel injection on a 1977 KZ1000?
Damn you guys are old!! Gonna need to ad a senior section to the site soon!!

LOL.. just kidding of course, but couldn't resist!

~Jack

1982 KZ1000 J2 ~ Project (Street Fighter - Project Section)
1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

More
29 Oct 2011 07:02 - 29 Oct 2011 07:03 #485871 by Larry_Mo
Replied by Larry_Mo on topic Fuel injection on a 1977 KZ1000?
You haven't scared me off. I work at a nuke plant and we are in a middle of a refuel, working 6 days a week 12 hour a day grave yard shift, so I don't have a lot of time to write. I have been reading the posts though. You all have given me some great ideas. I will be piecing this project together with a GPZ throttle body and injectors, MegaSquirt and piece the remaining parts together here and there. I just want a bike I can get on and ride. I have been fighting these carbs for too long now, so it's time for them to go. I will be performing 99% of the work myself. I keep thinking, just sell the stupid thing and buy a cruiser, but I can't lower myself to do that. I have to much of my sweat and blood into restoring this old Kaw just the way I want it besides, I want my son to ride this bike ten years from now, he's 16. I’m almost complete will my restoration of a 1980 Husqvarna 390, so when that's complete, it's time to tear into the old Kaw and get it ready for spring. I live in the middle of Missouri and there is some good mechanics locally if I need there assistance. I won’t be dyno testing it, it will be trial and error.

Thanks for the help and keep the suggestions coming.
Last edit: 29 Oct 2011 07:03 by Larry_Mo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leife

More
29 Oct 2011 09:15 #485874 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Fuel injection on a 1977 KZ1000?

Boostable wrote: Damn you guys are old!! Gonna need to ad a senior section to the site soon!!

LOL.. just kidding of course, but couldn't resist!

That's it...that's the last time we talk to you...you whippersnapper you :woohoo:

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
29 Oct 2011 10:17 #485879 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Fuel injection on a 1977 KZ1000?

Gary - K7GLD wrote:

steell wrote: You have me beat by a few years, I'm only 60 but drawing 100% disability, and I am doing it because it's fun and interesting. I've been involved with MegaSquirt since the very first group buy of the bare circuit board almost ten years ago. In the early days you had to be knowledgeable in electronics and mechanics, it's advanced so far it's now a virtual bolt on in simple situations. Invest the time required to read the MegaManual and you'll know more about electronic fuel injection than 98% of the mechanics out there.

THAT sounds a lot more to my liking - as far as price goes - what can you tell us about the end result - were there worthwhile gains, or was it just a fun project to obtain a novel sort of bike?

Others have injected ZX11s with excellent results, 10% more power with an increase in fuel mileage and driveability. The first one to do it (that I'm aware of) was a guy called ZX10BUD in California, he used an entire Hayabusa EFI system on a ZZR1200 motor in a ZX11.

There's video, pics, and lot's of info on KZ efi conversions at www.cyclemadness.com/cmforum/index.php?board=16.0

KD9JUR

• Gary - K7GLD
  • User
  • 1983 1100LTD
More
29 Oct 2011 13:35 #485907 by Gary - K7GLD

There's video, pics, and lot's of info on KZ efi conversions at www.cyclemadness.com/cmforum/index.php?board=16.0

Great info and commentary - unfortunately, being an "old geezer" as pointed out earlier, I barely have available lifespan remaining to ride the bike, let alone what appears to be an ongoing debugging, refining, and development project - so you EFI guys will just have to wave as you ride on by! :laugh: