• Page:

TOPIC:

Cleaning carb/tank/filter 16 May 2006 16:02 #47808

• froggy
  • froggy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Trying
to avoid shop expense at the tune of $400.00 and trying to avoid complete removal at the cost of screwing up the carbs maybe the techs wont come behind me and rebuild my screw up i should check, but then there becomes the installation possible adjusment headaches, so then im stuck with pay the 400.00 woops just dont have 400.00
are there any posssibilities of cleaning out my carbs
while on the bike i have a long to do list on maintenace/ revamping the whole nine to the whole bike carbs this is coming up on my to do list

looks like i can get a way atleast on carbs with
1. drain tank seperately
2. drain carbs seperately
where can i go from here
possible
3.fill tank with cleaner/type? and gas then drain?
4.fill carbs threw fuel inlet with cleaning/type? liquid/gas and drain?
5.remove top covers on carb and fill with cleaner/type/gas?
and drain or is that a no no?
6. spray compressed air threw fuel inlet?
7. replace inline filter or blow out disconect and drain while on prime to see if fuel is flowing properly

not sure if this would help out if any at all if i got some stuck or seriouse congestion in carbs but i would like to take any simple preliminary step first

so wat im really asking here is can i flush my carbs while still mounted on bike and increase performance startup
lot of good rightups on this topic
any recommendations?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cleaning carb/tank/filter 16 May 2006 17:22 #47822

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
I can't remember anyone who posted here and cleaned their carbs quickly with good results.

I suggest you buy a manual. Then take your time going through the writeups in our archives and filebase, and clean the tank and carbs the right way. This will require a complete carb teardown. Since we don't have enough information about your bikes' condition, maybe a quick spray job will be enough....

I suspect you will have to dis-assemble them. Clean one carb at a time, that way you have three others to reference. Ask questions, take pictures, look at pictures.

By the way, please put your location and bike, year, model, & mods in your signature line.

Good luck and most of all have fun. Write back and tell us what you do

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2006/05/16 20:34
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Cleaning carb/tank/filter 16 May 2006 19:19 #47866

• froggy
  • User
frog info ventura california
1988 kz1000 police low miles
( under construction )
none vacum petcock
improperly used for 3 years but ran ok
stock engine and carbs without mod
has sat for 2 years without start with fuel on

lesson learned
turn fuel off it is as to why fuel leaks from air box and has posssibly mixed in oil

will probably plug all vacum ports remove 2 airbox lines if dont need them drain tank an carbs at startup refill with fresh gas
have read most all carb post and have a clymer1973-1981 guide
its my understanding all 1980 - 1989 models are all built the same on the police bike

wont rebuild carbs will take to shop if need be for startup and performance problems

Cleaning carb/tank/filter 16 May 2006 21:05 #47912

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Froggy,

If the bike has been sitting 2 years, the carbs do need cleaning. If the vacuum ports and hoses are messed up or missing, then that certainly needs to be looked at. But it probably needs new plugs, valves adjusted, you know, a good tune up. How many miles on this police bike?

To keep from having to write your bike information in every post you make, just add it to your signature. On the right side of the page is a "Who's online" list. Just above it is the word "Profile". Click it. Now you are on your profile page. Click the red letters, "Update your profile". Now on this page click the words "Forum Settings". That blank box at the bottom is for your signature.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Cleaning carb/tank/filter 16 May 2006 22:19 #47930

• froggy
  • User
"OKC"
I will keep in mind your suggestions prior to startup and performance as to "good tune up"
how much i will play a role in the tune up will depend on the catastropic effect it will have tuning tweeking calibrating rebuilding if i cant get it rolling I prefer to leave to the proffesionals im sure my mechanic will make her purr like a kitty

but as for configure the bike to meet the petcock conversion is questionable but post here have desribed the method seems clear wierd george made some things clear about some differnt mods and setups very good many lessons learned

i should never have a start carb prob ever again after reading all these post especially how to store your bike

ill be checking on miles next chance i get im sure its well under 50k

• Page: