Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

34 Mikuni Flat Slides where to begin? 16 May 2006 06:23 #47675

• mikekz900
  • mikekz900's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I was wondering what has to be done to try these 34's?
Can I use the stock intake rubbers?

What about the throttle cable can the stock be used?

And does anyone have an idea as to where to start with the jetting I have 17.5 pilots and 125 mains in there now?

I currently have 29's on there now but would like to try something with and accelerator pump and I'm tired of the little bugs I'm having with the 29's.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

34 Mikuni Flat Slides where to begin? 16 May 2006 06:59 #47685

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
No, you can't use the same intake manifolds as are on your bike now. Do the flat slides have vacuum ports for sync? Hmmm... if not, you will need some "J" style intake manifolds. Then you will need to hog out the mount holes which don't quite line up. If I had some fancy flat slides, I would want to synchronize them and so would take an old set of donor manifolds (VM26/28 or VM24 style) and remove the vacuum ports, drill holes in the new J style manifolds and epoxy them in place. I have done this so I can test/tune certain carburetors and it is possible. As far as the cable, you have several cable characteristics that you will need to know. First is the length. Then, since your nicname says KZ900 in it, I am guessing this is a KZ900? You have a switchgear with a threaded end. This end is locked with a 14mm nut. OK... you have length and switch gear end type... last, you will have to know what type cable mount is on the flatslides. I have no idea but there are essentially two types. The first is the type that uses a cable with two nuts that fit over the cable mount to hold the cable in place. The second type mount is basically a bucket that the cable end slips into. Both types of cable ends are available but MOST importantly is the characteristic called FREEPLAY. If you pull a cable through its sheathe, this is the amount of exposed cable... most of the time on a KZ, it will be 3.5". SOME brackets sit higher so you will need MORE freeplay but probably not less. Try hooking up a cable of any sort to the 34s (just hold them in place). Put the cable end into the switchgear and install it into your throttle tube. Route the cable and then pull the cable out as far as possible on the carb side. There is a good possiblity that the exposed cable will be insufficient to allow your throttle to shut all the way. If that is the case, figure out how much longer the freeplay needs to be.

Then call www.z1enterprises.com or email them and send them the cable specs needed. Jeff can hunt through his stock and probably find a cable that will work. If he can not, then go to the Motion Pro web site. There is phone number for their custom cable department and if you order one, you will need exactly the specs I described... length, end types, freeplay...

As far as jetting, the 34s are a lot of carburetor for a KZ900; especially a stock one. I would not rely on jetting "tips" unless someone had the same set up but would start with the needle clipped in the middle and #17.5 pilots... I would then dial in the main jet by FIRST seeing if you can pull redline with the #125. If you can, then do a plug chop to see if it is a bit rich or lean. This will take some patience. After you get the main jet sized, work on the mid-range... see if there are flat spots or poor acceleration and vary the clip setting on your jet needle and last, work on the idle which may be a bit tricky with those carbs. I am not good at tuning those things due to lack of experience but the slide cut out size... is that one of the specs? Do they have different cut outs? If they do, that is the starting point for rejetting the pilot circuit. The larger cut outs require larger pilot jets else the idle circuit is way too lean... if you are dissatisfied with the 29s, drop me a note offline and I may be able to help there.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

34 Mikuni Flat Slides where to begin? 16 May 2006 07:24 #47688

• mikekz900
  • mikekz900's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey George I appreciate the feedback. The bike has 1075 kit go back and look at my signature that has the list items done to the bike. That is the reason I think the 34's will be the perfect size.

Where is the best place to get the new intake boots?, and the new carbs do have vacuum ports for syncing them. So I don't have to worry about that.

When I was looking at the throttle cables they look like they are interchangeable, just wasn't sure.

34 Mikuni Flat Slides where to begin? 16 May 2006 09:23 #47711

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
www.z1enterprises.com sells the intake manifolds. I didn't notice the mods... the 34s would be kind of much on a KZ900 although I can 34mm carbs fine on a stock 900, I doubt the stocker bike can make use of the potential of larger carbs. The 1075 kit w/more compression will be a good match for those things... just didn't notice it in your sig (my bad!).
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: