Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Replacing Fuel Petcock - Options? 12 May 2006 14:57 #46872

• KB02
  • KB02's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I am still working on fishing out all of the little gremins out of my '80 550C. I have desided that I would like to get rid of that Vacume powered fuel petcock. Would any, basic, generic fit fuel petcock fit on the gas tank? Or is there a specific fuel petcokc that I need to go with?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replacing Fuel Petcock - Options? 12 May 2006 15:17 #46875

• fergyfer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I put the non vacuum petcocks from z1enterprises.com on both my KZ's. You'll have to round the oval shaped hole in the mount on the bottom of the tank to install them, but it is not a hard job. I used a dremmel with a round grinding bit, after I put the mount over the hole and marked the shape with a permanent marker. Jeff's petcocks are not expensive and work very well.

Replacing Fuel Petcock - Options? 13 May 2006 05:08 #46945

• heartless
  • User
i second the motion for Z1 parts...that is the route I am going as well on my 84 KZ550. Great service and prices....
you will need to remove your old petcock and measure the bolt hole spacing to get the appropriate adapter plate.
once you get the plate, temporarily mount it in place, mark the inside edges of the petcock hole, remove plate, and file the area you marked to accept the new petcock...this is where the dremel comes in real handy! be sure to clean out any filings before permanently mounting the new plate/petcock. plumb your fuel line, remount tank, fill with fresh fuel and go enjoy!! :)

Replacing Fuel Petcock - Options? 13 May 2006 07:53 #46966

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Make sure your tank is free of fuel fumes before going at it with a grinding wheel.

Replacing Fuel Petcock - Options? 15 May 2006 05:20 #47347

• heartless
  • User
good point, duck! dont want anyone getting hurt. mine had been sitting empty for a couple of days while i waited for the parts to arrive...

well, finally got the tank all cleaned out, and the new petcock installed, just need to finish up with the carbs and get them back on the bike...no rush since it has been so crappy around here - cold and rain...

• Page: