Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

I was wrong.... 08 May 2006 14:59 #45962

• Fossil
  • Fossil's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
...sorry, but my post a few days ago where I stated you can use small drill bits to closely sync up carbs does not work with RS flatslide Mikunis. Last year I synced mine up in this way and I must have just lucked out because it worked. Today I went to do the same and found this method does not work. My mistake, and Wiredgeorge was right to point out we should check the manual for bench tuning. I knew this technique from setting up dual AMALs on Brit bikes and SUs on Brit sports cars, so I figured it would work for all. Nope. Sorry if I sent anyone off in the wrong direction.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I was wrong.... 08 May 2006 15:31 #45970

• gas
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Honesty and humility are corner stones of a good mans charactor.:) ;)

. 08 May 2006 17:41 #46005

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
del

Last edit: by JMKZHI.

I was wrong.... 13 May 2006 05:29 #46949

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Actually, the drill bit method will probably not work well for most VM24s... have a look at your shop manual. It suggests presetting the idle screw so that the gap between the throttle butterfly stop and throttle butterfly are a certain distance. This is usually about 1/8". Then they suggest using a 1mm or less measure. The reason for these techniques is to ensure that you are not opening up the slides so much that a lower idle can not be set. I have bench sync'd about 500 sets of carburetors or more in the past couple years and have found that if you use larger objects to set the slide height the same, you can't get the idle in the correct range when using manometers in about 1/3 the bikes I did this with. I have since begun using the method suggested in the manual since I don't have the time to pull the carbs from a bike to readjust and it is truly a pain to have to back down all the adjusters correctly with the bike running.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

. 13 May 2006 07:02 #46958

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
del

Last edit: by JMKZHI.
  • Page: