Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Running Rich.....sooo? 31 May 2011 12:27 #454495

• calvin17d
  • calvin17d's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1

Motor Head wrote: Use the clear tube float/ fuel level check to make certain of proper level in each carb?

I did this as well....I knew I forgot to mention something in the post above.

I was wondering what thoughts are on using dry gasket material? Cut your own?
1976 Kz900 A4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Running Rich.....sooo? 31 May 2011 15:42 #454537

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
Sure you can do that, and then spray the gaskets with Halomar or Copper Coat sealer. Or brush on some Aviation High Tack. Yamabond is good as well.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Running Rich.....sooo? 31 May 2011 17:39 #454565

• hoghaterkaw
  • User
When setting the float levels by clear tube method you must never raise the tubes. That will give a false reading. You may lower the tube slightly, that is ok. That could cause the different plug colors. Was the bike on a center stand while you checked the floats? Unless I missed it, you didn't say if you sync'ed the carbs motor running with the vacuum ports?

Running Rich.....sooo? 01 Jun 2011 15:55 #454797

• calvin17d
  • User
I did have the bike on a center stand and the carbs level when checking float levels. I did have some problems with bubbles in the hoses during the check. Can you elaborate more on the false readings and what you mean by raising/lowering the tube and how it effects the reading?

I did sync the carbs at the vacuum ports on the intake manifold after setting the idle knob to hold the engine at 2000 rpm.
1976 Kz900 A4

Running Rich.....sooo? 04 Jun 2011 01:44 #455297

• calvin17d
  • User

Patton wrote:

calvin17d wrote: ...Would you say that this suggestion takes into account any amount of climate elevation?

At relatively high elevations, mid-range performance might possibly improve with a leaner (higher) jet needle clip position to afford a more "standard" fuel mixture ratio in the thinner air.

I finally "correctly" observed the fuel float level. I was pretty close but I was able to achieve similar plug coloration after adjusting a bit more via the clear tube method.

I was running the 120's for test rides as I did have a lean condition and was concerned about running too hot. I went back into the carbs and put the 115's on to achieve a more lean condition with what I thought to be a well tuned carb. The bike continues to run smoothly and with no hesitation.

Me thinks that this rich condition is occurring in the mid range. I have a stock set of pilots and my needle clip is stock as well. I am running pods and have heard that they will not match with the taper of the jet needle.

Thoughts?
1976 Kz900 A4