Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

carbs jetting with airbox and k&n filter 25 Apr 2006 22:04 #42704

• drahotus
  • drahotus's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
i'm going to get a rid of pod filters on my kz 1000 78 /it is very loud at highway speed and moving from stop is a kind of slow respond/ and i decided go back to stock air box with K&N filter in it.
i have vm 28 carbs with no acceleration pump , kerker with baffle 4-1, motor is 1015 cc.main jets are 117,5 and pilot jets are 17,5. needle position is 4th groove.air screw 2 /1,4 turns.
could anyone make any suggestions on what size jets would be good? i'm in philly if that's make any difference.i think we are here a bit above a sea level

:huh:
thanks drahotus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

carbs jetting with airbox and k&n filter 26 Apr 2006 06:26 #42769

• rammy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
The only thing I can suggest is install the air box and run it for a while and "read" the plugs.Myself I dont like making multiple changes all at once if you do have a problem it is harder to go back and figure out what change gave you the problem to correct.Be patient and take your time and take notes on jet sizes and idle screw settings.

good luck
The barn yard;77 Kz650B-1 Kaw(the fun one) & 89 classic hog.
Chicago area-south burbs

carbs jetting with airbox and k&n filter 26 Apr 2006 07:58 #42791

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The ONLY non-accelerator pump VM28s were EARLY (Z1) and Z1R (1978 / 80). PLEASE ident your carbs as jetting recommendations will be relative to which type assembly you actually are using.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

carbs jetting with airbox and k&n filter 26 Apr 2006 20:21 #43028

• drahotus
  • User
i checked my carbs and there is on each one this number:
102 5A . i just don'k know if that means something.does it say something more specific about carbs?
anyway thank you guys for responding and i will try to experiment with it this weekend and let you know how it will work.
drahotus

carbs jetting with airbox and k&n filter 27 Apr 2006 06:03 #43103

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Yeah, it does say something about your carbs. First, you have VM26 carbs off a 78 KZ1000A. Second, the stock jetting is #15 pilots, #105 mains and the jet needle is clipped to the 3rd position (5DL31-3). The bike appears over-jetted for using a 4 into 1 w/baffle and K&N in a stock airbox. I would move the jet needle back to the 3rd clip, leave the #17.5 pilots and reset the mixture screw back to about 1.5 turns out and go with smaller main jets; perhaps #110s or #112.5... at the most. I would also check voltages going to my coils and REMOVE and lubricate the mechanical advance. Perhaps a full tune up including valve clearances and looking at the timing would also help not to mention plugs and plug wires.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

carbs jetting with airbox and k&n filter 28 Apr 2006 14:02 #43453

• drahotus
  • User
thanks george!
i just remember that my plugs were always too dark-fouled.they never had that right colour.i just got rubber boots and k&n filter from Z1 enerprises.
well all what i need now is a nice weather and a lot of patience...to work on my bike.
thanks again. appreciate it.
drahos

• Page: