• Page:

TOPIC:

Fuel Injection 25 Apr 2006 17:27 #42634

• Dave Sloan
  • Dave Sloan's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi guys,
Are there any other members on KZR that have fuel injected their bikes? I have converted my 650 over using GPZ1100 throttle bodies, injectors, pressure reg and pump. The ecu is a Mega Squirt V2 running Alpha-N and MS&s extra code. I will start tuning on the road this weekend using a DIY tech edge 2eo Wb o2 and a palm IIIc that I will atach to my mirror stalk. I will take a few pics and put them on the site of the installation and the bike on the weekend.

Cheers

Dave
Z650B2 - Injected

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fuel Injection 25 Apr 2006 18:59 #42661

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I have the MegaSquirt, but that's as far as I have gotten with it :)
I'll be waiting to see your pics.
KD9JUR

Fuel Injection 25 Apr 2006 19:11 #42668

• Dave Sloan
  • User
What bike are you injecting?
It would have been much easier to mount the ecu if the new microsquirt had been out as it is much smaller in size, as it is I have removed the air box and mounted it behind the side covers with the fuel pump and press reg all on the same mounting bracket.
I was happy to find that the 1100 TB spacing is the same as the 650, it would have been a bit of a pain to have to alter that.
What are you going to use for your temp sensors?
The tps is no problem as the MS takes readings to calibrate it to the unit you are using.
I wil be interested to see how the 650 chargin gside keeps up with all the elctric gizmos :blink:
Z650B2 - Injected

Fuel Injection 25 Apr 2006 22:41 #42712

• steell
  • User
The GPz750 is the first one to be MS'd, unless I finally get fed up with the carbs on the 750 twin (and find a pait of appropiate TB's).
Last I read, the MicroSquirt was not going to be available till late May/early June, maybe it's time I hit the MS site again.
I assume you know about EasyTherm (so you can adjust the MS to use any temp sensor)?

I have a set of 750 Turbo throttle bodies, but it's missing one injector and the injector mounting block, and I also have a set of early GPz1100's (the ones that used injectors mounted in the head).
Right now I'm getting ready to move a vertical mill and lathe into my garage, running new electric and trying to make room, plus trying to get caught up on all the other stuff I put off over the winter, so the bikes on hold.

Why are you running the Extra code, are you running ignition also?
KD9JUR

Fuel Injection 25 Apr 2006 23:30 #42729

• Dave Sloan
  • User
Im using extra code mainly for the 12x12 tables but it has some features that are easier to use that the std code like you dont have to use a jumper on the board when you want to get into boot mode and the cranking speed is easily ajustable from the laptop aswell, you just put in the rpm that your motor turns at. The default one in ms is 300rpm and my 640 spins at about +500rpm it is amazing that the bike started so well when I first started as it went straight to running!
Yes I used easytherm to I am using NTC thermisters for the temp sensors as they are real small and I wasnt keen to have to try and find a concealed spot for these really big car sensors.
I am running the electronic ignition off of an '82 gpz750 along with the mechanical advance, I think that from '83 the gpz had electronic advance, I have the rpm off of one coil - using sheilded cable just in case and then in the constants info the bike is listed as a twin as each coil fires 2 cylinders at once. One of the guys on the ms forum who has ms'd a gsx1100 suz gave me the info, I must say all the guys on the ms forum are really helpful which is good when you are electrically challenged like I am :laugh:
I have had a small chinese lathe/ mill combination machine since '91 and I would be totally lost without it,you will get a lot of benifit from having your own machine shop at home especially ae they sound like the machines are a decent size
Z650B2 - Injected

Fuel Injection 26 Apr 2006 00:08 #42734

• steell
  • User
I was (and still am) on the original MegaSquirt Mailing list, and it's simply amazing what some people have installed MS on :D

I have been looking around for a dyno locally to tune it whenever I get it finished, but all the dyno operators want to do is burn fuel maps for factory EFI bikes, wish I could find one with an ounce of imagination :(

My GPz750 is an 83 with the electronic advance so I plan on using the Extra code to map the ignition as well.

1700 lb mill and 1000 lb lathe (plus tooling), just looking for a trailer I can borrow to haul it (hopefully Friday or Saturday).
KD9JUR

Fuel Injection 26 Apr 2006 01:44 #42741

• Dave Sloan
  • User
Yes MS is awesome,when I first joined the forum in march 04 and I think that I was no 350 or so now there are nearly 11500 members.
I am really keen to give Auto tune a go but this weekend I will set up a map based on the afr off of the wide band. I will run it on a dyno once I am happy with it more to see what it produces rather than fot them to tne it.
I will possibly give the ignition side of it a go sometime in the future.
Z650B2 - Injected

Fuel Injection 26 Apr 2006 08:26 #42801

• steell
  • User
I believe there are a couple (at least) of other memebers that have installed MS on their KZ's (or GPz's), and a few more that have MS'd automobiles.
And there is one member that has a custom built EFI controller on a small twin (400/440).
KD9JUR

Fuel Injection 27 Apr 2006 15:11 #43223

• Dave Sloan
  • User
I have had a lot of help from Sidy (who is in the process of msing either a zed or maybe his sohc cb750) from this forum who I met on the ms bike forum and Ian (newtyres - who has ms on his Buell) from the ms forum who both live in Brisbane Aus and Arrtu who has a ms on his gsx1100 in Finland(who gave me a lot of info re sensors etc). I am really keen to get her tuned and on the road and see how much difference there is compared to the mikuni vm 26mm carbs (GS1000) that I struggled with for over a year.
Just idling and reving under no load in the garage the motor sounds much crisper.
Z650B2 - Injected

Fuel Injection 27 Apr 2006 16:16 #43242

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Here, have a set of GPZ750 throttle bodies. Suspect I could try them on the Honda CB650F or CB350F with a little plumbing work. Also have a KZ1100B2 project that's coming together with the factory EFI. I've been waiting for a deal on someone elses 'abandoned project' MS controller. Would really like to find one with ignition control as well. I'm so cheap here(out of necessity with two kids in college and only the spouse working) that if I work on a bike and the oil wasn't scheduled for a change, I run it through a filter and put it back in!

Anyway, if you hear of a deal on MS, best would be an unassembled kit, please let me know.

Small thermistors are definitely the way to go. Inexpensive and attach easily with dab of adhesive.

-Duck

Fuel Injection 28 Apr 2006 15:45 #43472

• Dave Sloan
  • User
Hi Duck,
the 1100 would be a good candidate, all the gear is in place and then you can fine tune it using a palm ;) and fit the ms in the factroy cover so it will be easy to mount.
Dave
Z650B2 - Injected

• Page: