Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Petcock question from a rookie 20 Apr 2006 17:31 #41225

• Nitwit
  • Nitwit's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
After trying unsuccessfully to stop a leaky petcock, and after reading here about replacement petcocks, I bought a pingle with one outlet rather than the two that were on the original petcock. One post here said to cap the vacuum hose and another post suggested installing a "Y" in the fuel hose to connect to the vacuum hose. The bike will run with the vacuum hose capped, but doesn't run well. When I hook up the "Y" gas leaks quickly from the carb that is furthest to the riders ride hand side.
Does anyone have suggestions as which way I should go with the new petcock. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Nitwit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Petcock question from a rookie 20 Apr 2006 17:43 #41229

• newbikekiller
  • User
The vacuum port needs to be capped, you absolutely should not run gas into a vacuum line.

So all you have to do with the pingel (which by the way, are crazy expensive) is cap off the vacuum port coming out of the carb and run A SINGLE fuel line into your carb set up.

If everything else is correct, your bike should run much better with the vacuum port blocked. This makes me think that, after you get the pingel properly installed, you need to set the idle and synchronize the carbs. I usually set my idle at around 1100-1500. I don't worry about what the book recommends :whistle:

Petcock question from a rookie 20 Apr 2006 17:45 #41231

• newbikekiller
  • User
Also, you may want to change your oil.

Putting gas into that vacuum line means that a ton of raw gas may have made its way into the combustion chamber and dripped down to the oil pan.

I would change it if I were you!

• Page: