1983 440 ltd.. novice carb rebuilding..

More
26 Oct 2010 16:13 #409228 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1983 440 ltd.. novice carb rebuilding..
jkufen wrote:

just a dumb question:blush: here but everyone says dont take the carbs apart from the bracket whys that? just curious i know nothing about a carb but all the information is great... my main reaso for asking is there is a little rust on the bottom of each carb and i was gonna sand it down and put a little paint on it... is it a bad idea to paint them?? I just didnt know if it could cause some of the outside moving parts to stick... thanks everyone

Most everything that needs cleaning is accessible after removing the float bowl, without requiring separation of the carbs.

Some procedures (such as for example fuel pipe removal and replacement) do require separation or partial separation by loosening the carb(s) from mount bracket.

rust on the bottom of each carb --- :unsure: meaning on bottom of float bowls?
Sometimes a gas stain instead of rust.

If desired, could buff the float bowl exterior to a shine,
or even have the float bowls chromed.
Many owners buff or chrome both the carb caps and bowls.

But don't paint any part of the carbs.
Imo it looks amateurishly tacky, and won't last.

Excerpt from wgcarbs.com :

www.wgcarbs.com//index.php?option=com_co...view&id=19&Itemid=35

Paint Removal ***************************************** $65

Paint is removed when we clean. All of it must come off and this is tedious and time consuming. We highly recommend you not request repainting. Paint is not durable when it comes in contact with gasoline.

No question is dumb! :cheer:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2010 16:37 #409230 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1983 440 ltd.. novice carb rebuilding..
Some examples.

Good Fortune! :)

[Click on image to enlarge view.]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
26 Oct 2010 17:22 #409238 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic 1983 440 ltd.. novice carb rebuilding..
jkufen wrote:

just a dumb question:blush: here but everyone says dont take the carbs apart from the bracket whys that? .....

There's no need to blush. That's actually a good question. I believe the factory manual for some models advises not to separate the carb bodies, but that may not be applicable any more - the bike is 25+ yrs old now. Often times it's a good idea to submerse the carb bodies in solvent overnite or longer & it usually can't be done unless they're removed from the rail.

More
26 Oct 2010 17:44 #409243 by JR
Not trying to start an argument :) but definitely separate the carbs if soaking bodies in solvent. On the other hand some of us have had good success boiling in lemon juice solution or baking powder without separation. I think I'm just a tad lazy. :)

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
26 Oct 2010 18:25 #409262 by swapdip
Replied by swapdip on topic 1983 440 ltd.. novice carb rebuilding..
If you can blow air from the gas inlet and it comes freely out of the main jet in all the carbs, and your linkage moves freely, I don't think there is any reason to separate them. Altho on my old GS I did have to separate the bowls to grab the bowl screws with a vice grip to get them off the first time... so thats another indication.

No harm in it. If you want to go ahead, you're not going to hurt anything.

More
26 Oct 2010 19:13 #409273 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic 1983 440 ltd.. novice carb rebuilding..
Someone here on KZR tried the lemon juice method but he stated that it caused pitting in his carburetors.

Most carburetors have more than one orifice, so simply proving that the main jet is clear won't suffice for properly function carbs. :)

The op's carbs may or may not need to be separated. He'll have to make that determination by using his eyeballs & common sense. If the bowls & what not are gummed up or worse, then it may be necessary.

More
26 Oct 2010 19:48 #409282 by jkufen
Replied by jkufen on topic 1983 440 ltd.. novice carb rebuilding..
ok thanks everyone ill probably by a new bowl i guess its called its the bottom of the carb well i think its rust and gas corrosion because whatever is on it factory or if someone tried to paint it its flaking off ima try and get a pic of it by tomorrow but im hoping between the youtube videos and all the advice and intructions through this thread i can clean and rebuild my carbs if not ill go with plan A and just buy new ones :P

thanks everyone

More
26 Oct 2010 19:55 #409285 by swapdip
Replied by swapdip on topic 1983 440 ltd.. novice carb rebuilding..
JMKZHI wrote:

Most carburetors have more than one orifice, so simply proving that the main jet is clear won't suffice for properly function carbs. :)

Yeah I was just saying that when I clean carbs, the only reason I ever separate them is if there is an obstruction in the main fuel line. Obviously all the passages need to be thoroughly cleaned, but the majority of them can be cleaned with the carbs still united.