Bent jet needle

More
17 Oct 2010 18:18 #407293 by Galactica
Bent jet needle was created by Galactica
I recently acquired a 1977 kz1000 A1. It was not running. The carbs were all stuck solid like someone painted all the parts with varnish, assembled them, and then left it sit for 10 years.

I cleaned and reassembled, set floats, and reinstalled them. Set the points and timing. VROOM! she fired right up. Synchronized them. Didn't idle too well, but went OK when revs were up. Sparks were all OK. 125-130 psi all across. Number 4 exhaust pipe was cold at idle.

Suspected pilot circuit so I took off the carbs again. Now this is the bad part. I dropped one of the slides with needle on the concrete floor and the needle bent about 1/4 inch from the point.

I've straightened it as best I could.

Should I get a new one, or would it be OK to reuse it?

77KZ1000
76 KZ900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
17 Oct 2010 18:20 #407294 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Bent jet needle
Galactica wrote:

I recently acquired a 1977 kz1000 A1. It was not running. The carbs were all stuck solid like someone painted all the parts with varnish, assembled them, and then left it sit for 10 years.

I cleaned and reassembled, set floats, and reinstalled them. Set the points and timing. VROOM! she fired right up. Synchronized them. Didn't idle too well, but went OK when revs were up. Sparks were all OK. 125-130 psi all across. Number 4 exhaust pipe was cold at idle.

Suspected pilot circuit so I took off the carbs again. Now this is the bad part. I dropped one of the slides with needle on the concrete floor and the needle bent about 1/4 inch from the point.

Get the number off the needle. I might have one. If I do, I'll pm you for your address and throw it in the mail.

Larry C

More
17 Oct 2010 18:24 #407296 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Bent jet needle
needs replaced....i d bet 50 bucks its whatever the manual says is the stock needle.......

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
17 Oct 2010 19:05 #407310 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic Bent jet needle
yea i got a few layin around too if Larry cant help

More
17 Oct 2010 22:43 #407350 by Galactica
Replied by Galactica on topic Bent jet needle
My eyes aren't too good any more, but I think the number on the needle is:

5CN8

I believe the bike is 100% stock. It's in pretty good shape. The tank is out right now getting stripped inside and out down to bare metal. I'll get it, and the panels repainted the stock red with gold stripes. Of course it needs all the maintenance stuff, like wheel bearings, steering head, sprockets, chain, seat, chain guard, mirror, etc.. But the motor is really strong, and all the chrome is really good too, and the tock exhaust is excellent.

Thanks in advance if you have a needle.

R

77KZ1000
76 KZ900

More
18 Oct 2010 04:51 #407374 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Bent jet needle
Galactica wrote:

...1977 kz1000 A1...Didn't idle too well, but went OK when revs were up. Sparks were all OK. 125-130 psi all across. Number 4 exhaust pipe was cold at idle.

...Suspected pilot circuit....
Me too. B)
Especially on cylinder #4, which isn't combusting.

And the jet needle has virtually zero influence on idle performance.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
18 Oct 2010 06:33 - 18 Oct 2010 06:39 #407388 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Bent jet needle
Galactica wrote:

My eyes aren't too good any more, but I think the number on the needle is:

5CN8

I believe the bike is 100% stock. It's in pretty good shape. The tank is out right now getting stripped inside and out down to bare metal. I'll get it, and the panels repainted the stock red with gold stripes. Of course it needs all the maintenance stuff, like wheel bearings, steering head, sprockets, chain, seat, chain guard, mirror, etc.. But the motor is really strong, and all the chrome is really good too, and the tock exhaust is excellent.

Thanks in advance if you have a needle.

R

I'll check today.
Last edit: 18 Oct 2010 06:39 by larrycavan.

More
18 Oct 2010 08:43 - 18 Oct 2010 19:44 #407405 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Bent jet needle
Galactica wrote:

My eyes aren't too good any more, but I think the number on the needle is: 5CN8
I believe the bike is 100% stock.

Yes --- Per FSM, 5CN8 is correct jet needle for stock Mikuni VM26SS.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 18 Oct 2010 19:44 by Patton.

More
18 Oct 2010 15:59 #407476 by Galactica
Thanks guys. I have purchased a FSM on ebay from Denmark. It will probably take a month or so to get here. The ones I saw on this side of the Atlantic looked like crap.

I understand that the jet needle has no bearing on the idle. The problem is that it got bent, and although I straightened it, it is not perfect. I suppose it is possible that, as it rises and falls, the cross section of it may be affected and not meter the fuel precisely enough.

I've left the #4 carb and pilot jet soaking overnight in Seafoam. I'm heading out to the garage now. I'll blow it out, give it a shot of carb cleaner and blow it out again. When I get a replacement needle I'll let you guys know the results.

The plan is to do a fairly good job on this bike without taking out the motor. Then I'll ride it while I do a frame off resto on my 900.

Cheers,

R

77KZ1000
76 KZ900

More
18 Oct 2010 20:15 #407520 by Galactica
Does any one have 5CN8 jet needle the would be willing to part with? It would be greatly appreciated. If so, shoot me a PM.

Cheers,

R

77KZ1000
76 KZ900